BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-02-2017, 08:35 AM

Default Constant water retention an indicator to stop high activity/dietitng

Hey folks

Wandering if any of you have experienced this or have any form of input. Some may know that walking for me has been a ridiculously succssful tool in me losing weight and I can vouch for high acitivity when dieting. However, these past two months Iíve experienced something quite odd. Almost every time I complete a high activity day/week il get really really puffy the day after and it will continue for about a week. When I say puffy I mean my face retains water (especially under eyes) and my whole upper body/midsection in general. Now the weight eventually drops and I see the success at the end of it all, but this is fairly unusual and it never happens. Itís starting to happen more and more now. My step count on average per week is 20-40k and Iím lifting 3-4 times a week. My calories are relatively high for a cut so this is whatís messing with my mind in terms of needing a diet break. I simply donít think I warrant one due to my calories being at a decent level. However, I could be wrong. Could the sheer amount of activity Iím applying on a weekly basis become a detriment and masking success?
Unread 12-02-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredordie View Post
Hey folks

Wandering if any of you have experienced this or have any form of input. Some may know that walking for me has been a ridiculously succssful tool in me losing weight and I can vouch for high acitivity when dieting. However, these past two months I’ve experienced something quite odd. Almost every time I complete a high activity day/week il get really really puffy the day after and it will continue for about a week. When I say puffy I mean my face retains water (especially under eyes) and my whole upper body/midsection in general. Now the weight eventually drops and I see the success at the end of it all, but this is fairly unusual and it never happens. It’s starting to happen more and more now. My step count on average per week is 20-40k and I’m lifting 3-4 times a week. My calories are relatively high for a cut so this is what’s messing with my mind in terms of needing a diet break. I simply don’t think I warrant one due to my calories being at a decent level. However, I could be wrong. Could the sheer amount of activity I’m applying on a weekly basis become a detriment and masking success?
Same thing happens to me as I get leaner by doing high activity. Take a few days off with very low activity (but rarely ever do this) does the trick. Usually lose between 4-7 lbs of water. Water retention is at its worst when adding hiit.Last time I took a break from high activity (5 days in hospital due to tumor removal), lost 10 lbs. a little fat & muscle, but 90% water. It was crazy.

Maybe try scaling back activity and cutting calories in proportion , if you have the temperament for it without getting anxious over belief you’ll get fat by doing less. Just a thought. You know what works best for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

By the way, do you mean 20-40k steps/day or week?

Last edited by patriots2 : 12-02-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Unread 12-02-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriots2 View Post
Same thing happens to me as I get leaner by doing high activity. Take a few days off with very low activity (but rarely ever do this) does the trick. Usually lose between 4-7 lbs of water. Water retention is at its worst when adding hiit.Last time I took a break from high activity (5 days in hospital due to tumor removal), lost 10 lbs. a little fat & muscle, but 90% water. It was crazy.

Maybe try scaling back activity and cutting calories in proportion , if you have the temperament for it without getting anxious over belief youíll get fat by doing less. Just a thought. You know what works best for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

By the way, do you mean 20-40k steps/day or week?
Thanks for this.

Sorry haha should hve been more clearer. 20-40k a day. Iíd say half of the week closer to 20. The other half closer to 40. Iím assuming this must really put the body under a lot of stress

Il scale it back a bit and see how I get on
Unread 12-03-2017, 02:10 PM

Why are you still doing this?

I would have thought you would be shredded by now considering the progress you were making a year ago
Unread 12-03-2017, 04:34 PM

i did.

Then i bulked.

Back to cutting again.
Unread 12-03-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredordie View Post
i did.

Then i bulked.

Back to cutting again.
What type of bulk. Slow gainining at ~ 250 calories over maintenance or greater surplus?

Larger surpluses just make fat gain quicker here. Then dieting again sux.
Unread 12-04-2017, 01:41 PM

I can relate to this - I'm trying to qualify for the boston marathon and running 80 miles per week. I also walk around 3 miles daily and lift 3x a week.

I think my body is under a constant amount of stress and my face has actually started to break out slightly in spite of a very high quality diet comprised of 90% whole foods
Unread 12-04-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightng View Post
I can relate to this - I'm trying to qualify for the boston marathon and running 80 miles per week. I also walk around 3 miles daily and lift 3x a week.

I think my body is under a constant amount of stress and my face has actually started to break out slightly in spite of a very high quality diet comprised of 90% whole foods
Whole Foods mean literally nothing when your bodyís undergoing that type of additional stress.

Besides water retention, your body may be fighting back with decreased RMR and lower calorie burn to michrocondrial efficiency.

Not sure if last statement is accurate, but whenever dieting sub 10%, the extra supposed deficit created by activity never comes near to equate in fat loss. For example, if I estimate 100 calories (conservative at 170 lbs) a mile for 6 miles day, it should be an extra 4200 calories (1.2 lbs/week), but it never approaches near that even accounting for decreased RMR after indirect calorimetry test. Bummer.

Anyone else found something similar? Reward/Work ratio = poor
Unread 12-05-2017, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriots2 View Post
Anyone else found something similar? Reward/Work ratio = poor
Yeah, the math does not seem to hold up. Or there are some variables we don't take into account when calculating excessive cardio/walking:
- Walking more often makes your body more efficient at walking.
- Losing weight makes you lighters and burns fewer calories.
- I'm not sure if the math holds up when you're leaner. All calculators are just basic formulas that don't take into account your current hormonal makeup and leanness.
- The math probably changes when you're walking for hours and hours (instead of a typical 30-60min as most calculators account for). Thus, the cumulative duration of the walks may change things.
- There may be something going on when comparing fasted vs fed cardio. Especially when fasting for a prolonged time. There are some small indications and evolutionary speaking it makes sense (prolonged fasting without having access to food).
- The math is based on average Joe's meaning that you may deviate (genetically or in any other way). Maybe your wind resistance is very low
Unread 12-05-2017, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
Yeah, the math does not seem to hold up. Or there are some variables we don't take into account when calculating excessive cardio/walking:
- Walking more often makes your body more efficient at walking.
- Losing weight makes you lighters and burns fewer calories.
- I'm not sure if the math holds up when you're leaner. All calculators are just basic formulas that don't take into account your current hormonal makeup and leanness.
- The math probably changes when you're walking for hours and hours (instead of a typical 30-60min as most calculators account for). Thus, the cumulative duration of the walks may change things.
- There may be something going on when comparing fasted vs fed cardio. Especially when fasting for a prolonged time. There are some small indications and evolutionary speaking it makes sense (prolonged fasting without having access to food).
- The math is based on average Joe's meaning that you may deviate (genetically or in any other way). Maybe your wind resistance is very low
All of those points are logical. The oddity & point that seems to help most when getting very lean is intermittent fasting (up to 36 hours).

It seems to work even better than fasted cardio, assuming a Calorically equal environment. Maybe itís a lowered RQ during later periods in the fast or whatever, it just seems to work a little better, despite the fact it shouldnít.

Oh well, letís stick with what seems to work and adjust from there.