BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-18-2018, 05:39 PM

Default STILL holding water after holidays? Any thoughts Lyle?

Took 9 months to diet from 218 (20-25%) to 180-181 (10-12%, can see abs, will post pic if its helpful). Typical calorie level towards the end of this period was 2000 or so with a once per week refeed.

Was 180 on Christmas eve and Christmas morning. Binged on about 7000 calories on Christmas. Shot up to 188. Next 4 days were at 1700. Still only got down to 183 by the 4th day (but waistline at all time low). Binged 12/30 and 12/31 again at 7000 calories or so each day. Weight shot up to 190+ and has incredibly slowly come back down but still high. Every day since then has ranged from 1500-2400 with an average of 1800 or so.

It's basically like I've had to lose that weight all over again. I am still waking up around 183-185 most mornings. This is 3-5lb above my low (which I hit several times pre-holidays) after just 3 days of junk food and about 20 days of strict dieting (along with cardio and lifting of course). Not to mention strength and arm measurements are going down just as if I was dieting past my old lows.

Both skinfold calipers and waistline are both up as well to the same level as when I was 183-185 back in November, so again it's literally as if I've somehow held onto 3-5lb fat, which I realize should be physiologically impossible it's just very frustrating at this point and doesn't make sense to me. I've always been one to bloat a lot but it always goes away quickly too. Now I'm just "fatter" and weaker.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Last edited by David1991 : 01-18-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Unread 01-20-2018, 06:40 AM

Thoughts:

I don't think "water" hangs on that long and hard. Not saying it is impossible.

Could be where you are now is a "set point" for you, just an equilibrium that the body fights to maintain. That can work for you sometimes too though.

My body seems to really like to be about 150. I've fought it down to 145 and have always bounced back up. Stopped working at it and seemed to settle in about 155. 3 months not monitoring and eating whatever - still 155. Actually 152 today.

Recommendations:

Consistent diet and training.

And magic fairy dust.

Definitely magic fairy dust.
Unread 01-20-2018, 08:57 AM
Administrator

That's not water, it's fat.
Unread 01-20-2018, 11:36 AM

I'm sure you have read that you can't gain 5 lbs in a week but that is assuming you don't overeat by 15,000 kcals over a three day period. Spectacular efforts lead to spectacular results.
Unread 01-20-2018, 11:36 AM

Il be honest.. it seems as if your idea to rectify the damage on paper should have sufficed. Assuming the maths was correct on the days you went awol you simply couldnít have eaten enough to warrant this much fat gain assuming the method you used was calculated correct aswell.

Having said that. Christmas is the worst time to end a deficit and be Ďflexibleí. Itís happened to me before and I kept 8lbs of weight gain i kid you not. Gonna go by the educated assumption and say metabolic slowdown played a part. You didnít workout and hardly moved from your house. And letís just chuck in an extra 1000 calories from the food you didnít count on those days shall we.

Not that I condone any form of binge purge behaviour.. letís be real and admit itís always going to happen.. the way Iíve learnt to best counter the days Iím splurging is always ALWAYS have an PSMF day the day after. That way the average on both days comes to around maintenance. This avoids the chance of a lot of weight being accumulated through copious amounts of feeding. This approach isnít the best if you swear by the scale as fluctuations are real.
Unread 01-20-2018, 11:39 AM

My personal experience is that excessive intake always leads to a lot of fat storage. The surplus is more effectively stored as fat than a similar deficit would otherwise burn. I don't want to go into details as to why this happens though.

Bottom line (at least for me): never binge too much unless you're willing to sacrifice a longer deficit.
Unread 01-20-2018, 12:41 PM

If you really ate 7000 calories for 3 days then you would have gained around 5 to 6 pounds of fat. Thatís going to take more than 20 days to lose unless you do a massive deficit.

Just be patient.
Unread 01-20-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1991 View Post
Took 9 months to diet from 218 (20-25%) to 180-181 (10-12%, can see abs, will post pic if its helpful). Typical calorie level towards the end of this period was 2000 or so with a once per week refeed.

Was 180 on Christmas eve and Christmas morning. Binged on about 7000 calories on Christmas. Shot up to 188. Next 4 days were at 1700. Still only got down to 183 by the 4th day (but waistline at all time low). Binged 12/30 and 12/31 again at 7000 calories or so each day. Weight shot up to 190+ and has incredibly slowly come back down but still high. Every day since then has ranged from 1500-2400 with an average of 1800 or so.

It's basically like I've had to lose that weight all over again. I am still waking up around 183-185 most mornings. This is 3-5lb above my low (which I hit several times pre-holidays) after just 3 days of junk food and about 20 days of strict dieting (along with cardio and lifting of course). Not to mention strength and arm measurements are going down just as if I was dieting past my old lows.

Both skinfold calipers and waistline are both up as well to the same level as when I was 183-185 back in November, so again it's literally as if I've somehow held onto 3-5lb fat, which I realize should be physiologically impossible it's just very frustrating at this point and doesn't make sense to me. I've always been one to bloat a lot but it always goes away quickly too. Now I'm just "fatter" and weaker.

Any thoughts/recommendations?
If you went to a real 10% at 180 lbs, you mustíve looked great. Thatís good work at 6 feet tall & better as you keep getting shorter.

Also, you did this (losing ~12% body fat at your beginning weight indicates itís pretty much all fat - thatís awesome) the second go around should be easy.

Rinse & repeat what you did before. Simpler to theorize than execute, but doable.
Unread 01-20-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
My personal experience is that excessive intake always leads to a lot of fat storage. The surplus is more effectively stored as fat than a similar deficit would otherwise burn. I don't want to go into details as to why this happens though.

Bottom line (at least for me): never binge too much unless you're willing to sacrifice a longer deficit.
Pretty much agree, but after throwing in a 36-hour fast (this is taboo, of course) has worked wonders & not yielded noticeable muscle loss. Also, the fast reinvigorates making dieting moving forward easier.

Just don’t make this a binge purge thing, if possible.
Unread 01-20-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriots2 View Post
Pretty much agree, but after throwing in a 36-hour fast (this is taboo, of course) has worked wonders & not yielded noticeable muscle loss. Also, the fast reinvigorates making dieting moving forward easier.

Just donít make this a binge purge thing, if possible.
Really, thatís interesting.

Did you workout or drink BCAAS during the fast?