BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-05-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
Yes, my fitbit charge 2 estimates I burn around 3500 calories on average which I know sometimes just flat out isn't true.

If you want to increase the accuracy of it. Take it off doing activities that might calculate you as walking steps, such as brushing your teeth.
Stop wearing mine for this reason. I had to subtract 500 to get my real maintenance.

Get to 10% bodyfat first while lifting weights heavy 3x a week with reduced volume. Two weeks maintenance. Bulk up slowly (1 lb weight gain per week max), focus on getting stronger, measure body composition changes often.
Unread 02-05-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmyoldaccount View Post
Welp, I'm really tall, early 30s, play basketball 3-4 times a week and lift

and my maintenance is 13/lb, maybe 14 MAX.

I guess I have low t3/leptin/whatever.

Edit: I'm probably just bad at tracking
13. Wow.

And I'm 6' 2"...and old.
Unread 02-05-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Stop wearing mine for this reason. I had to subtract 500 to get my real maintenance.
Subtracting 500 is usually gives me around how much I know I've burned.
Honestly I think the real benefit of HR monitors like patriots2 said is that they are consistent and give a rough idea of how much burned.

Interesting that the Fitbit overestimates calories burned like people.
Unread 02-05-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Subtracting 500 is usually gives me around how much I know I've burned.
Honestly I think the real benefit of HR monitors like patriots2 said is that they are consistent and give a rough idea of how much burned.

Interesting that the Fitbit overestimates calories burned like people.
To make the Fitbit quasi accurate, I had to decrease my bodyweight by about 40%. Instead of 170, I put in 100 lbs. seems much more accurate. But still just a poor estimate.
Unread 02-05-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriots2 View Post
To make the Fitbit quasi accurate, I had to decrease my bodyweight by about 40%. Instead of 170, I put in 100 lbs. seems much more accurate. But still just a poor estimate.
I had a Fitbit that I could clip on me, or just carry in my pocket. It seemed slightly more accurate when I compared it with a friend that had the wrist one because it didn't pick up non-walking activity like brushing my teeth or if you're a hand talker when it's on your wrist. It's just more of a pain to always have on you if you're just hanging out at home.
Unread 02-06-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoun1e View Post
13. Wow.

And I'm 6' 2"...and old.
probably just bad at tracking and slipping past a few extra hundred
it's why ud 2.0 "just works" for me because it's hard to cheat

Get to 10% bodyfat first while lifting weights heavy 3x a week with reduced volume. Two weeks maintenance. Bulk up slowly (1 lb weight gain per week max), focus on getting stronger, measure body composition changes often.
Unread 02-06-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
probably just bad at tracking and slipping past a few extra hundred
it's why ud 2.0 "just works" for me because it's hard to cheat
Exactly. Thatís what makes a fasting period effective - 0 calories.

Zero times misestimstion = Zero

After the fasting period, however, .........
Unread 02-06-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Agreed. They are inaccurate but consistent. Consistency and awareness are their best measures - someday they may get precise.

Be careful with HR calories burned. Variability can be large dependent on ones conditioning.
Yes, consistency is what's important. Just like when you're tracking your food intake. You're likely very inaccurate with tracking food, but as long as you do it the same way everytime, it'll work.

In fact, activity trackers are probably more consistent than an individual is with tracking food. Does anyone here calibrate their food scales?

Quote:
Yes, my fitbit charge 2 estimates I burn around 3500 calories on average which I know sometimes just flat out isn't true.

If you want to increase the accuracy of it. Take it off doing activities that might calculate you as walking steps, such as brushing your teeth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightCrow View Post
I had a Fitbit that I could clip on me, or just carry in my pocket. It seemed slightly more accurate when I compared it with a friend that had the wrist one because it didn't pick up non-walking activity like brushing my teeth or if you're a hand talker when it's on your wrist. It's just more of a pain to always have on you if you're just hanging out at home.
Some of them purposely underestimate steps, and others overestimate. The reason for underestimating is because false steps will get picked up from washing dishes, brushing your teeth...etc. On the other hand, some will overestimate your steps, because these pedometers are based on arm swing, so if you're holding a shopping cart, it won't count your steps.

Regardless, they will always tell you trends. If you're sitting on your butt all day long, it won't tell you you walked 10,000 steps. And if you've been out and about for 8 hours, it won't tell you you walked 1,000 steps.

@Twitchy, I believe I recall that the Charge 2 was notorious for overestimating. It may have to do with the terrible heart rate monitor on it.

@Lightcrow, you probably had the Zip, or the One. Unlike many activity trackers, it was impact based, not based on arm swing. I had the Zip for years, I loved it. As long as I manually entered activities such as weight lifting, it gave me a great estimate for calories burned.

Quote:
But if it's always off by 500 calories, it's still useful isn't it?

For what it's worth, I love the Polar running watches. Whatever algorithm they use, it's the closest I've seen to realistic maintenance calories. And the heart rate monitor in their M450 is top notch for an optical heart rate monitor.
Unread 02-06-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
Y
@Twitchy, I believe I recall that the Charge 2 was notorious for overestimating. It may have to do with the terrible heart rate monitor on it.

For what it's worth, I love the Polar running watches. Whatever algorithm they use, it's the closest I've seen to realistic maintenance calories. And the heart rate monitor in their M450 is top notch for an optical heart rate monitor.
Yeah I've heard it was one of the worst because it measures the heart through LEDs. But as long as it's precise, I really don't have a problem with it.

Honestly it seems like if I want the most accurate heart rate monitor I would get a chest strap monitor. Yet knowing the exact amount of calories I've burned really isn't the important, in the same way as knowing how many calories I exactly eat.
Unread 02-07-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Thatís what makes a fasting period effective - 0 calories.

Zero times misestimstion = Zero

After the fasting period, however, .........
Good observation.

But for me it's insanely hard to fast all day if I'm leanish.
I don't see how martin does it. Even EC doesn't seem to help much.

Oddly enough, only high intensity cardio like basketball does it. But that's probably just my body getting beat up and not feeling digesting anything.