BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-04-2019, 01:44 AM

Default One Year Update

So it occurs to me that it's been one year since I decided to start exercising again.

I reached my goal of being able to do china and dips again. I've decided that my arbitrary goal for this year is going to be Rolling Thunder pull-ups. The Rolling Thunder is a thickbar handle, made by IronMind, that rolls. Right now I can hang for an entire two seconds.

Got scanned, by the same place as last June. By their measure, my body recomp for the past eight months has been +0.5 lb fat, +11.3 lb LBM. I've also added 1.5" to my upper arms, which made me laugh, given that I've done zero direct arm work. Cool.

My weights are in kind of a screwy place right now. I haven't been approaching progression in the GBR in an entirely consistent fashion. I had some forearm pain, up at my elbow, after grip work last workout, so it may be time to deload and run strength for a while. I'll probably spend this week figuring out how to do that, without losing too much tonnage in the process, this week.

I'm not entirely sure how to proceed, to be totally honest, programming-wise. I'm going to finish Helms's book and outline a plan over the course of the week.

I'm using rolling thunder deadlifts to train for the pull up.
Unread 03-06-2019, 12:03 AM

I tried the pull up at the start of my legs workout (rather than end of upper body) and was able to do it. So now I need a new arbitrary long term strength accomplishment.

This week I'm deloading, on volume rather than intensity. Its going as would be expected, boringly.

Anyone know if LISS should be avoided during a deload? Don't recall anyone ever talking about that.
Unread 03-07-2019, 01:30 AM

Deload weeks are meant to be lower stress weeks where the intensity doesnt necessarily drop much but as you said, volume does. Instead of doing LISS why don't you spend the same amount of time in the gym but playing around with some movements you never do, or rarely do eg. I like to spend some time during my deload weeks doing Turkish get ups,suitcase carries, Olympic lifting practice or mobility work I've been neglecting.

Because the point of the deload week is to lower stress you should probably cut down on the LISS, but at the same time if it's something you enjoy and you're not doing too much, it won't be detrimental.
Unread 03-10-2019, 01:45 AM

Thanks Brid.

Deload week went alright. I felt really week for my last workout, but Im not going to overthink it.

The timing is unfortunate, as I just found out Im moving to another state next week. So I get to find a new gym blah blah. Well see how that goes.

Im dropping back down to maintenance, going to start a strength phase when I get my bearings in the new locale.