BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-05-2019, 08:22 PM

Dips, deadlift, seated rows, grip.

Dips were a lot weaker than when I did them a few weeks back. But I got all the swing out of them, pretty sure the form was shoulder-friendly, and thatís whatía important. Band pulls parts, between sets of dips.

Half the strongman equipment was missing from the gym because weíre doing a strongman thing this weekend, so I didnít do anything fun. Deadlifts today were nice and heavy, so Iím okay with that.

I tried a thing I read on t-mag for triceps. (Basically, right now Iím doing Helmsís powerlifting workout, and tack on whatever accessory work I feel like.) Itís a big set of skull crushers: 10 reps to the nose, 10 to the forehead, 10 behind the head. I liked it alright. My seated rows were neutral grip, so I didnít feel the need for any extra bicep work.

Grip I did an exhaustion circuit that I picked up from Martins Licis. His videos are entertaining and smart, heís a legit good dude. Like and subscribe.

Tomorrow I think Iíll do a prowler workout.
Unread 04-06-2019, 04:34 PM

Yoke carries and a prowler workout. Iíd never actually done yoke carries, before, so I didnít go nuts with it. Definitely deceptively draining - the prowler, too, for that matter. Itís been a while since Iíve dedicated a day to exercise other than lifting, and Iím glad that I did. I feel like I got a lot of work done, in a short amount of time. I only barely managed to avoid throwing up, when all was said and done. Iím going to make it a regular Saturday thing.

214 on the scale right now. Iím going to work at maintenance, until Iím done with this mostly strength cycle. See if I canít lean out a bit. Thinking of doing one day PSMF per week, on the last rest day, to put me at a net negative for the week as a whole, and see how that goes.

If anyone has any fun prowler workouts, feel free to share. Iím going to do a different workout every week, rather than work it as a progression. Iíve got many, already, but Iím always open to input.
Unread 04-09-2019, 01:22 AM

Barbell: Medium rep safety squat, flat bench, vertical pulling.
Carries: waiter.
Grip: one-arm hangs

Squats and pulls were good, bench was not. For some reason, pressing isn't as sticky for me as pulling and legs. I can make some progress, when I'm working on it, but it disappears in a flash, if something interrupts my training. Very frustrating.

Think some if it may have to do with fasting yesterday, and not eating enough before hitting the gym, today. Being sick was basically an unplanned PSMF, though, so I suppose I'm just happy that I managed to keep some if not all of my lifts.

Now that I'm settled from my move, I'm going to start regulating my diet. I've been pretty loosey-goosey about it, but I'd really like to get rid of my gut once and for all. Too tired to write about that rn though.
Unread 04-13-2019, 12:12 AM

Got lazy about writing these out.

Week ended well. Squats and deads are up. Iím not sure how next week will go, as I accidentally jumped 10% in both, instead of the programmed 5%. Maybe Iíll jump by 2.5%, try to slow it down. Iím hypocaloric, which doesnít help.

My bench is a problem, so Iím scratching it. Itís not just that itís stuck, itís that it increasingly just doesnít feel right. Going to work gironda dips for main chest, and banded tricep dips for the higher rep alternate work. Iím not prepping for PL, so Iím okay with that.

Tomorrow is my bonus workout. Iím going to do yoke carries and an as yet undecided prowler workout. The yoke Iíve decided to train sort of as anticipating my target farmerís walk for the next week. So Iíll go for 355, tomorrow. 410 is what Iím looking for in the farmerís, as a proximal goal, hopefully by the end of my next mass cycle. Iíve been looking forward to this bonus day all week. Bring on the porcelain goddess!

Pretty sure Iím leaning out a bit. I always forget to weigh myself at the gym, and I still havenít unpacked my bathroom scale. Iím 214ish. Going to make a note to step on the scale, tomorrow. Diet right now is super complicated: Iíve switched to ordering fruit or steamed veggies when I go out to eat (which is at least half of my meals). I maaaaay keep this intensification / cut going for another month, since moving / sickness / etc kind of messed things up, and Iím changing some exercises mid-way. Also, making progress on my midsection is giving me that Ďsuddenly I care about this and maybe a bit more leanness wouldnít hurtí anorexia.

Iíve been thinking about my next mass phase. Iím not running GBR again, it was just too boring (sorry Lyle). Top contenders right now are Dan Johnís Mass Made Simple, and Christian Thibideauís Beast Building or Best Damn Program for Natural Lifters.
Unread 04-13-2019, 04:23 PM

Yoke and prowler both went great. Used a little bit of EC to rev the engines. Think thatíll be my pre for HIIT stuff. Overall everything about this bonus workout felt better than last weekís. I felt more stable, despite the heavier weights, and did more total volume. Making progress toward that magic 2x bodyweight number. Kind of annoyed at myself for not loading up the yoke that high, just to see what it felt like on my shoulders. Oh well.

Finished up with some grip, which is going fine, and calves, which by then weíre shot.

I forgot to weigh myself until the end. 216# on the scale. By then Iíd consumed a good 56 oz of fluid, so I think Iím probably still losing weight, hopefully while relatively conserving muscle. Undecided if Iím going to fast again, tomorrow. I felt like it just made me want to binge on Monday, last week.
Unread 04-17-2019, 08:09 PM

My squats and dips are in good shape this week. Using bands for the dips last week seems to have gotten me where I need to be to bang them out at bodyweight. Deadlifts didnít get off the ground, yesterday, for some reason, but Iíve added 15% to my squats in eight days, so itís whatever.

I read through the Dan John book. The routine is basically heavy dips, a barbell complex, and high volume squats. I think Iíll probably try to eke a bit more back strength out of this intensification cycle, run the Dan John routine on a bulk, then switch to something more posterior-chain focused. My strength has been shooting up in squats, so switching from triples to stupidly high volume sounds like a good way to convert the strength gains to hypertrophy.
Unread 04-18-2019, 11:24 PM

Squats and dips went fine, Iím getting stronger in both. Rows, too, though Iím somewhat concerned about bicep tears with a supine grip.

330 for the farmerís walk felt very very heavy. Iím not entirely sure where, exactly, it may have just been heavy, period. I guess mid back is probably the weak link, there - if it were my legs or hips, then I wouldíve had the same problem with the heavier yoke carries, right? - just speculating here. I suppose it also makes a difference that the weight is less stable, during farmerís.

Diet is going well. I donít know where the scale at my gym went, so Iím going by the mirror. Surprised at my strength gains, given that Iím losing fat. Iíd like to lean out a bit more, before I bulk. The current plan is to run a six week bulk, followed by a six week strength and carry program, at maintenance, followed by a four week cut. And repeat. In theory. I tend not to stick with plans that extend that far out, but weíll see how things go.
Unread 04-19-2019, 06:00 PM

This weekís Friday workout (deadlifts) went better than last weekís. I managed two solid touch-and-go sets of five on the deadlift, with no straps or belt. Then a third, with both. I think I might hang out at 315, until the pulls are consistently crisp. Maybe Iíll move up when I can get all three sets without belt and straps. That sounds arbitrary enough to suit my fancy.

I tried incline dumbbell press and it felt f-ing terrible. I think because it puts my shoulder right in the position of its ROM where I feel pain. Iím sick of this, going to have a soft tissue guy take a look at it.

I ended with bottomís up kettlebell walks, which I hadnít tried before. My right side balanced fine. The left (my unhealthy side) was a disaster. Which is funny, because they didnít feel any different, from one side to the other; the left just didnít want to balance.

Tomorrow sled.
Unread 04-20-2019, 06:32 PM

Got my shoulder worked on today, instead of doing my conditioning workout.

First time Iíve had any kind of work like that. He did scraping, cupping, myofascial release. I might be forgetting one. It took an entire moderately painful hour for the shoulder. He said he thinks tightness of my trap and bicep are contributing to immobility of the joint, causing some subscapular stuff. It does feel better, now, though not painless. I may trade heavy pressing for lighter stability-focused work. Or at least supplement.

Iím upping my fiber intake, just because.

Definitely not fasting through Easter tomorrow lol.
Unread 04-22-2019, 09:54 PM

Another Monday, another 5% added to my lifts.

I worked shoulder stability exercises in between my sets, throughout. My latest discovery is the Serrano press, which Iím really liking. Also bottoms up kettle bell presses, face pulls, pull aparts. Focusing a lot on so-called back organization. Iíd really really like to avoid ending up like the 2/3 of people that I know with messed up shoulders, if I can at all help it.

Iím still leaning out while gaining strength, so Iím going to continue to milk it. If I have to add an extra week or two to my bulking cycle, to rebuild work capacity, so be it. My muscles arenít as full as they were a month ago, but I figure muscle memory lasts a long time, under load.

Eating more healthy stuff. It turns out almonds can be made edible, if you Blanche and then roast them. Who knew.