BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-21-2018, 05:19 PM

Default Is UD 2.0 Still Recommended over Linear Gaining/Losing?

After listening to Lyle's podcast on "Refeeds Revisited" he spoke about how potentially a lot of the stuff he wrote about in UD 2.0 with regards to "reversing" some of the issues that come up with dieting will more likely need more than just a day or two of refeeding to reverse itself (as more research has been done and we have a better understanding now.)

However, does this mean that most of UD 2.0 is still valuable otherwise? In particular, the ability to help burn fat more effectively, spare muscle more effectively, help burn stubborn fat, etc.

I ask because I like to base my actions in what the research actually supports rather than what I feel/remember due to how biased we can be and how we can restructure our memories and fool ourselves. Although I feel that large refeeds have helped me lean out to a much greater degree, if not just do to the reduction in cortisol, but other metabolic adaptations (e.g. with regards to alpha/beta-receptors, depletion of glycogen before carb loading cyclically, etc.) and tricks as well way more than just linear dieting, I'm not 100% sure that it's just my mind playing tricks on me. This is especially true during the context of a cut where it's all mental mind games.

Last edited by theribeye : 09-21-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Unread 09-21-2018, 06:46 PM

I don't own the book, but I thought there was more to the diet than refeeds. Do refeeds need to be what they were originally thought to be in order for this diet to work?

Maybe there's some way to incorporate diet breaks more often. Like I said, I don't have the book, so I don't know how many weeks the protocol is supposed to be run or how long it takes for these "metabolic issues" to come up.
Unread 09-23-2018, 06:42 AM

It's an interesting question. I'm not sure I have a very good answer.

For a personal anecdote, UD2 worked extremely well for me when I used it many years ago. All diets seem to work well though as long as the basics are down (weight training, adequate protein, and all that.)

Still, UD2 seemed to work particularly well. I always had a hunch that a lot of that had to do with the training. The 4x/week per muscle group training was completely new to me back then, and even the low and high rep work was fairly novel as I had mostly stuck to moderate reps beforehand.
Unread 09-23-2018, 06:47 AM

I like ud a lot but the suck of depletion and massive refeed outweighed the efficacy for me as I got older. Ymmv of course.
Unread 10-08-2018, 07:47 PM

Ive been wondering about the usage of cyclical carb diets too. It seems that the new studes show that muscle loss is nearly entirely avoidable assuming proper protein and weight training and that these couped with a reasonabe deficit will get the desired muscle maintenance (maybe slight gain) and fat loss just as well. But then is there still something to the idea of calorie partitioning via CHO manipuation?

A lot of anecdotal info says there is but the official stance seems to be that given sufficient protein, training, and a moderate deficit, you will be good to go...
Unread 10-09-2018, 07:00 PM

From what I understand UD 2 is good because you are actually anabolic on refeed days and since a ton of the calories go to muscle glycogen you can actually continue to lose fat for a fair portion of the refeed. Apparently it is not unheard of to gain muscle while on UD 2.

I am paraphrasing what Lyle said during a podcast I listened to recently from within the past year or 2.