BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Applied Nutrition for Mixed Sports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-22-2013, 10:09 PM

Default Fructose only days

I know the book says I can use fruits exclusively for carbs on non-workout days. I'm just wondering how that works to fill muscle glycogen when fructose preferentially fills liver glycogen. After filling liver glycogen, does the excess get converted to muscle glycogen? Or does it go toward fat? A combination of both?

I can't really find a specific answer to this on the main site or in the book.

I'm okay with knowing that I *can* do this; I'm just wondering *why* I can do it.
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
I know the book says I can use fruits exclusively for carbs on non-workout days. I'm just wondering how that works to fill muscle glycogen when fructose preferentially fills liver glycogen. After filling liver glycogen, does the excess get converted to muscle glycogen? Or does it go toward fat? A combination of both?

I can't really find a specific answer to this on the main site or in the book.

I'm okay with knowing that I *can* do this; I'm just wondering *why* I can do it.
Nothing that exists naturally is pure fructose. Fruits have other sugars. Even an apple which is very high in fructose only has 7g of free fructose + whatever comes from the sucrose.
Unread 09-23-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primalkid View Post
Nothing that exists naturally is pure fructose. Fruits have other sugars. Even an apple which is very high in fructose only has 7g of free fructose + whatever comes from the sucrose.
Sure, but even then, it's more than possible to completely refill liver glycogen via fructose and have a lot of fructose left over on those days. What happens to that?
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:43 PM

I seem to remember this being another religious topic, but if I remember right your liver converts fructose into glucose for energy if you need it or fat for storage of that energy till later.
Unread 09-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violinist View Post
I seem to remember this being another religious topic, but if I remember right your liver converts fructose into glucose for energy if you need it or fat for storage of that energy till later.
+1

Unread 09-23-2013, 10:51 PM

So, then the question becomes "Why does UD 2 require glucose instead of fructose, if fructose will eventually become muscle glycogen anyway?" Is it just a matter of speed?
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
So, then the question becomes "Why does UD 2 require glucose instead of fructose, if fructose will eventually become muscle glycogen anyway?" Is it just a matter of speed?
Because as you can clearly see in the image, fructose is much more intimate with the triglyceride formation, while glucose is miles away. Also keep in mind that all these steps require enzymes, and there are only so many of those. Glucose get's first dibs at the glycogen synthase enzymes while fructose is left to try and scrap by. Fructose does preferentially refill liver glycogen however, so once that is full then it's screwed.
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:49 AM

I don't think the OP stated anything about his calorie intake: if he's in deficit all these pathways are pointless for the real world. You won't gain fat. Unless fructose is an exception that I'm unaware of.
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake97 View Post
I don't think the OP stated anything about his calorie intake: if he's in deficit all these pathways are pointless for the real world. You won't gain fat. Unless fructose is an exception that I'm unaware of.
It's not. The only situation where people get fatter in a deficit is in the case of massive hormonal irregularities, the likes of which only occur in extreme disease/medication states
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake97 View Post
Yes, hence 'energy if you need it or fat for storage of that energy till later'.