BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-27-2016, 06:54 PM

Default low calorie sweeteners and fat gain

Interesting
https://www.reddit.com/r/science/com...independently/

Top comments are mostly
Quote:
sweeteners spike insulin which makes you fat
Bottom comments have some sanity

Quote:
The main takeaway is this: if you are overweight and continue to eat the same amount of calories for 10 years, you will still be overweight. Sweeteners are not magic weight loss pills, they're just what they are: low-calorie alternative to sugar. If people use them to restrict their daily calorie intake, they will lose weight; if they use sweeteners but eat the same amount of calories as before, they will - gasp - stay at the same weight. To say that "low-calorie sweetener use is independently associated with heavier relative weight" is technically true, but intellectually dishonest.
My tldr:

even people posting in a science reddit sub which strictly moderate comments come to bad conclusions

Get to 10% bodyfat first while lifting weights heavy 3x a week with reduced volume. Two weeks maintenance. Bulk up slowly (1 lb weight gain per week max), focus on getting stronger, measure body composition changes often.
Unread 11-27-2016, 07:07 PM

Well, thankfully one woman managed to convince herself that sweetness alone is bad. Now she doesn't drink sugar in her tea. Still chubby, though.

Great.

It seems glucose is really the enemy, this year. It was invented by satan, or something. Probably causes prejudice.
Unread 11-27-2016, 11:09 PM

Enemy of the month. See carbs, fats, meat,etc. Fat people blaming something stupid for being fat, rather than their actual calorie intake.

The bottom comment nailed it.
Unread 11-28-2016, 01:28 AM

Seems no matter where I go, who I talk to, or where on the internet I visit, there are always a group of people, usually educated, talking about how calories don't matter and they're not responsibly for making you fat.

Get to 10% bodyfat first while lifting weights heavy 3x a week with reduced volume. Two weeks maintenance. Bulk up slowly (1 lb weight gain per week max), focus on getting stronger, measure body composition changes often.
Unread 11-28-2016, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmyoldaccount View Post
Seems no matter where I go, who I talk to, or where on the internet I visit, there are always a group of people, usually educated, talking about how calories don't matter and they're not responsibly for making you fat.
People are always pushing some kind of agenda.
Unread 11-28-2016, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Insulin can't magically make you fat if you're not overeating and artificial sweeteners do no such thing.
Unread 11-28-2016, 09:03 AM

I am living proof that diet sodas don't lead to weight gain, i used them for cutting to satisfy the sweet taste (i guess cancer test incoming)

About the effect on insulin, from what i googled it seems that some AS raise it, some don't? Could this be tested somehow using yohimbe + soda and see if the yohimbe loses it's effect ? (i read that even small doses of insulin negate the effect of yohimbe)
Unread 11-29-2016, 05:52 PM

I think Big Sugar has funded all of these studies that dirty the name of Aspartame.
Unread 11-29-2016, 07:07 PM
Administrator

The whole thing is crap. Invariably it's reverse causality

When people get fat they start using diet products or skipping meals
Or by drinking diet drinks they justify eating other junk
Unread 11-30-2016, 06:54 AM

Not sure why people have this idea that insulin = fat gain. They are basically ignoring most of what insulin does in the body. If we are going to make the assumption that insulin spikes make you fat, then.... well, there is a whole heck of a lot of stuff that causes insulin to "spike."

Breathing oxygen also causes fat gain, because it allows you to continue to live, which leads to consuming calories. Calories cause you to gain fat. Tell them they should stop breathing oxygen. Guaranteed to cause weight loss.