BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-18-2019, 10:42 PM

Default Now With More Periodization

Itís been a year, and I just completed a move, so I decided to start a new log.

After a week lay-off for no reason except convenience, Iím back in the gym. Just started Helmsís four day intermediate powerlifting program. Itís basically a light-heavy setup.

Iím supplementing with some isolation work and strongman stuff, hoping to get the best of both strength and hypertrophy, without boring myself in the process.

On maintenance calories right now.

One of my shoulders is bothering me, for some reason.
Unread 03-19-2019, 10:07 PM

Heavy day.

I was sore, after last night, thanks to my break. Almost skipped, glad I didnít. Felt good to lift. I started with my 10RM + 5%. Figured that should give me adequate room to shoot past my old maxes.

Workout ended up going long, so I chickened out on my farmerís walks. I read a t-nation article about carrying 2x bw for 30 seconds as a benchmark for core strength fitness. Think Iíll use that as one of my arbitrary goals to train for, although Iím not sure how practical it is, for a tallish ecto. Just something to go after.
Unread 03-20-2019, 07:31 PM

Nice, recommend sticking with carries of all varieties.
Unread 03-21-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loc View Post
Nice, recommend sticking with carries of all varieties.
Yeah, that's the plan, I just have to figure out how I want to program them. Tonight I did waiter carries.

Heavy bench and squats, plus medium rep accessories. Everything was fine. I have to re-read the workout rationale - I think Tuesday was maybe supposed to be a technique day? Shrug. I was sore as **** today. Felt weirdly good to squat through it.
Unread 03-22-2019, 07:00 PM

Dan John, whom I am a big fan of, has done a lot of stuff on carries. You can look up his stuff if you're interested
Unread 03-23-2019, 03:29 PM

Ha, I probably got my idea from incorporating a challenge into each workout cycle from him. Really with my comment on programming I was referring more to the process of blending programming for that with the programming for my main workout, and avoiding interference effects.

Last night was bench mod (Iím using dips), deads, seated rows, and farmerís.

Iím happy to get dips in the mix, as frankly I think bench is to upper body as deadlifting is to lower body. Not a bad exercise, a fun skill test, but less productive than alternatives. Dips feel like they utilize the muscles involved much more naturally than bench, to me. I did them for chest targeting (feet in front of me), and went 4-6-4-5 for reps. Helmsís rx for this slot in the workout is 3 sets of 6-8 reps @ RPE 8. Okay, so my strength may be a bit shy of utilizing them properly for what the workout calls for, but I think Iím probably missing some reps due to skill rather than pure strength deficit. There was more swinging than there shouldíve been, I need to work on keeping my body tighter.

Rows I used seated rows with a neutral grip, since I have bentover rows earlier in the week, and just thought Iíd give the mid-back some focus, for a change.

It was my first time doing farmerís in a while, so rhe bulk of the carries were light, just to see what was there. I used 115 per hand for those, then added another 40 lbs to each side. My end goal for these are 200 lbs each side for thirty seconds; I decided to see if I could even hang on to 155 for that long. I made it, but it sucked. I havenít touched my straps this week, and I could feel it. I think my carries program as a whole will probably be waiters carries, heavy and light farmerís, and, to keep grip from being the limiting factor, some husafell work.
Unread 03-25-2019, 09:42 PM

Safety squats, bench, pulldowns. Waiters and farmerís carries. Random arm stuff, just because.

My shoulder still feels not good, so I supersetted band pull-aparts with bench. It bothers me that itís been going on so long, though. Iíve just been lifting through it.
Unread 03-28-2019, 10:22 PM

I caught some bug. Have been avoiding the gym, half because I feel like death, half because I got it from someone else, and donít want to be that dick who infects half the gym.

I just started a course of antibiotics. My appetite has been non-existent, so Iím just trying my hardest to get 200 gr protein ED.

Being sick sucks.
Unread 04-02-2019, 09:29 PM

Tried to get back in the gym today. After two sets of squats I had a pseudo asthma attack and ended up running out of the gym. Stupid chest infection.

Picked up some bronkaid, hopefully thatíll help. Iím going half crazy not training.
Unread 04-05-2019, 12:22 AM

Back to the gym, take 2. I was expecting bad things, so I set out to match the last time I did this workout (two weeks ago), rather than progress. So tonight was squat, bench, barbell row, leg curls, farmerís walks, and some hangs, for grip, to finish.

Surprisingly, I was able to match the earlier workout, despite my impromptu week-long psmf. Breathing was a little bit troublesome, during squats, but nothing I was unable to keep under control. I think the bronkaid really helped.