BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-24-2018, 10:49 AM

Question Question about recommendations for protein intake while cutting.

I weigh 155 at 5’9, 21 years old and male.
after comparing with others on the bodyfat estimation thread am confident I’m around 16% body fat.
I initially went from 120lbs to 145, had a break, then went from 145 to 155. With the ten pounds I gained between 145 to 155, gained a decent amount of size but also some fat.

I’d like to cut and get to 10% to then continue my next bulking phase with a good base of leanness.
I’m going to go for a caloric intake of 1400 (9 cals per pound) after not seeing any fatloss results at all at 12 cals per pound, and see what happens.

I’m slightly concerned about protein intake, though. As we know protein requirements are scaled up as as the deficit lowers.
Acording to rapid fatloss, I may be in category 1 but I might not be. 16% was an estimate and category 1 is 15% and lower.
If I’m in category 1, Lyle recommends between 1.5 to 2g per pound of lean bodymass for protein.

2g seems really difficult on 1400 calories without compromising my gym performance with deficiency in other macros. I got 170g yesterday but going beyond that is challenging.

Obviously keeping as much muscle as possible is a huge deal. Losing even a small amount would surely bring me back to square one (145lbs) considering I’ve only gained 10lbs of total mass.

Would 170g be sufficient, do you think?

Cheers!
Unread 01-24-2018, 11:04 AM

Try and see how it goes.

If you keep losing strength, up the protein intake. If not, stay there.
Unread 01-24-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
Try and see how it goes.

If you keep losing strength, up the protein intake. If not, stay there.
So me not losing strength is indicative that the protein intake is in the right spot?

Cheers
Unread 01-24-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krk24 View Post
So me not losing strength is indicative that the protein intake is in the right spot?

Cheers
Strength staying the same is a good sign you're not losing muscle and protein is close to optimal. If you start having some crazy hunger though you may want to increase protein regardless of if you're maintaining strength.
Unread 01-24-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightCrow View Post
Strength staying the same is a good sign you're not losing muscle and protein is close to optimal. If you start having some crazy hunger though you may want to increase protein regardless of if you're maintaining strength.
Cool, guess Iíll have to try it out at this number then and see what happens.

The prospect of that admitidly stressed me out, considering if Iíve made a mistake Iíll be eating into the relatively small lean mass gains Iíve made.

Cheers
Unread 01-24-2018, 02:15 PM

Are you following RFL? If not you may be taking the protein recommendations out of context. In the context of other types of diets, protein recommendations are lower.
Unread 01-24-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrenator View Post
Are you following RFL? If not you may be taking the protein recommendations out of context. In the context of other types of diets, protein recommendations are lower.
Iím not actually, Iíve just read the book.

I was silly not to have realised that actually. I suppose it comes down to the size of the deficit and people on RFL are on a huge one.

Lyleís recommendations are in line with Eric Helms who also advocates roughly 1.5 - 2g.
Seems a bit of a minefield determining where within that scale you are personally.

Cheers
Unread 01-24-2018, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by krk24 View Post
I weigh 155 at 5í9, 21 years old and male.
after comparing with others on the bodyfat estimation thread am confident Iím around 16% body fat.
I initially went from 120lbs to 145, had a break, then went from 145 to 155. With the ten pounds I gained between 145 to 155, gained a decent amount of size but also some fat.

Iíd like to cut and get to 10% to then continue my next bulking phase with a good base of leanness.
Iím going to go for a caloric intake of 1400 (9 cals per pound) after not seeing any fatloss results at all at 12 cals per pound, and see what happens.

Iím slightly concerned about protein intake, though. As we know protein requirements are scaled up as as the deficit lowers.
Acording to rapid fatloss, I may be in category 1 but I might not be. 16% was an estimate and category 1 is 15% and lower.
If Iím in category 1, Lyle recommends between 1.5 to 2g per pound of lean bodymass for protein.

2g seems really difficult on 1400 calories without compromising my gym performance with deficiency in other macros. I got 170g yesterday but going beyond that is challenging.

Obviously keeping as much muscle as possible is a huge deal. Losing even a small amount would surely bring me back to square one (145lbs) considering Iíve only gained 10lbs of total mass.

Would 170g be sufficient, do you think?

Cheers!
2 gl/lb lean is only for rapid fat loss. For regular dieting 1.5 g/lb lean is fine. And guess what, something suffers when you diet. Do you care more about acute performance or muscle mass maintenance?

With refeeds, targeting carbs around training, the former is easliy addressed
Unread 01-25-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
2 gl/lb lean is only for rapid fat loss. For regular dieting 1.5 g/lb lean is fine. And guess what, something suffers when you diet. Do you care more about acute performance or muscle mass maintenance?

With refeeds, targeting carbs around training, the former is easliy addressed
Good to know, Iíll go with 1.5, then. I suppose youíre right, something does have to give.

Thanks!