BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-23-2018, 07:10 AM

Default lyle mcdonald's bulking routine pullup before rows ?

im doing lyle mcdonalds bulking routine for 2 weeks, the next week i will be starting the actual program, its still deload week.

I cant do single pullup so i was doing lat pulldown instead, but i hate this machine pulldowns, i think it dosent have any carrover on pullups for me, i bought a couple bands, one is lighter and the other one is heavier band tension.
I even think to change to calisthenics type of program for only increase my pullups, but i dont want , because i like doing barbell movements more ( bench press ohp barbell squat etc.)

I tried heavier band tension and i only get 2,3 rep max but the program says 10-12 reps for pullups.
I Wonder can i start with 2-3 reps and build that to 12 reps than move to lighter band tension ?
Will it broke the program ?

And can i do it before the rows ?

Bench press 4x6-8
Banded pullups 4x0-12 max
Overhead press 3x10-12
Pendlay row 4x6-8
Biceps , triceps 2x15
Unread 10-23-2018, 07:53 AM

If you can't do pull ups, you can probably just do a full body beginner routine or starting strength type of thing. Focus on learning good form and getting stronger over time.
Unread 10-23-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertCleverNameHere View Post
If you can't do pull ups, you can probably just do a full body beginner routine or starting strength type of thing. Focus on learning good form and getting stronger over time.
My question was simple why should i do beginner program ? I did stronglifts 5x5 for 4 months , after i changed to another program called fierce 5 , i did it another 3 months on that so i trained 7 months but after i stopped getting results , i was eating like pig and stalling over and over, that why i changed to lyles program , i needed an intermediate program.
Unread 10-23-2018, 10:22 AM

Stay on lat pulldown if you cannot do pullup... but it's a bit curious to not be able to do a single pull up if you're "intermediate" oO
Unread 10-23-2018, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyromanXP View Post
Stay on lat pulldown if you cannot do pullup... but it's a bit curious to not be able to do a single pull up if you're "intermediate" oO
If you're a heavy/fat intermediate it's very normal
Unread 10-23-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
because i gained a bit fat from my last bulk, i gained 1 kg per week because i think the diet was the issue, i still didnt make progress tho , after i realized im not a beginner anymore.
and i have incredible degree long arms.

But i still dont want to cut , im tall so i dont look much fat.

I can do negative chinups more than 10 seconds , i can even do isometric holds but for me the weakest part is the pulling part.

Maybe i can try close grip lat pulldown with v handle, idk why but i always felt stronger on close grip , it feels more natural grip for me.

Last edited by bzyspecial : 10-23-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Unread 10-23-2018, 12:51 PM

Start lean ish OP

https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle...I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.-gain.html/
Unread 10-23-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
If you're a heavy/fat intermediate it's very normal
That would be very heavy / fat, I could easily do a weighted pullup with 15-20kg added at the beginning of my intermediate journey.. I can't imagine how fat I would have looked weighting 100kg at 1.78m :-)

But maths are probably not correct this way, or maybe I had advantages for pull up, even as a child I was doing them for fun.

But anyway, I still think he should keep doing lat pulldown until he's able to reach the recommended range for chins/pullups
Unread 10-23-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzyspecial View Post
because i gained a bit fat from my last bulk, i gained 1 kg per week because i think the diet was the issue, i still didnt make progress tho , after i realized im not a beginner anymore.
and i have incredible degree long arms.

But i still dont want to cut , im tall so i dont look much fat.

I can do negative chinups more than 10 seconds , i can even do isometric holds but for me the weakest part is the pulling part.

Maybe i can try close grip lat pulldown with v handle, idk why but i always felt stronger on close grip , it feels more natural grip for me.
Pulls up took awhile for me to get and was painful in my forearms.

Practicing chin-ups(palms facing toward you,shoulder-width apart) helped me carry over to pull-ups like magic. I used a “1/3rds rule”; if I can do 3 chin-ups I can at least one pull-up.

If you get up to 12 clean chin-ups, you’ll be able to do more pull-ups.
Unread 10-23-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
That would be very heavy / fat, I could easily do a weighted pullup with 15-20kg added at the beginning of my intermediate journey.. I can't imagine how fat I would have looked weighting 100kg at 1.78m :-)

But maths are probably not correct this way, or maybe I had advantages for pull up, even as a child I was doing them for fun.

But anyway, I still think he should keep doing lat pulldown until he's able to reach the recommended range for chins/pullups
Like w1cked said in the other thread, you don't give yourself enough credit. You've done a lot better than you think.

Pullups are hard to predict though. I've seen regular, average, not all that fit (but also not that fat) guys rip off 5+ pullups on the spot. And I've also seen some guys who are in good shape who train regularly not be able to get any. Call it bodyweight, levers, magic, whatever.

For OP, I'd probably just increase lat pulldown strength if you can do it without injury. Lose fat, reevaluate pull ups again in a little bit.

If you just have to do pull ups now, maybe do band-assisted ones as your first pull on one of the upper body days (do what you can with low rep sets, improve on reps when you can) then do rows as the lighter second pull.