BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-17-2018, 04:01 PM

Default Adding weights to stack machines

So Iíve got a few leg machines at my gym Iíve maxed out the stacks on and have to chain additional weights on them. That got me thinking this morning just how much can be safely added before the cable might have too much weight on it. These are fairly sturdy cybex machines with a pretty thick cable. Anyone ever seen any numbers thrown around? My Google fu is weak looking for a decent answer.
Unread 03-17-2018, 07:10 PM

#humblebrag

Just kidding, but I looked around and didn't see anything and I haven't really heard anything about that either. Probably wouldn't be a problem, but it could be quite the scene if the whole weight stack comes crashing down if something breaks.

Not the answer you're looking for and not ideal, but I will sometimes do a Myo-reps type scheme if my weights are limited. Some like BFR too.
Unread 03-17-2018, 09:41 PM

Also not ideal, and perhaps you've done this already, but changing to a single leg version of the exercise has helped me with this issue.
Unread 03-18-2018, 03:12 AM

Both good advice. If you aren't already I'd do this movement last so muscles are fatigued. Use rest pause, drop sets and maybe even giant sets?
Unread 03-18-2018, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivetissimo View Post
Also not ideal, and perhaps you've done this already, but changing to a single leg version of the exercise has helped me with this issue.
Seconded.

It gives me best contractions (even in gluteus) with stupidly low amount of weight. Also it's not as nearly as hard on joints and you don't have troubles getting to starting position (most leg press machines start you off in a horrible biomechanical position under a flexion/compression force).
Unread 03-18-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
It’s an option I knew about eventually if I were to get up to multiple 45lb plates. Right now I’m just adding on a 20-25. Just not my most preferred way of doing it. More curious about the original question if anyone had some idea.

One machine in particular is a decent enough pec dec but each arm only moves half the weight on the machine. Not sure if that makes sense but if I put the 250lbs on the machine you’re only getting 125 lbs on the right arm even if you do it one armed so there’s no point doing it one at a time. It’s a better option to do it single on leg stuff.

Last edited by LightCrow : 03-18-2018 at 07:10 AM.
Unread 03-18-2018, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Takes a touch longer but I think this is teh best approach.