BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-23-2018, 09:31 AM

Default Anything I can do to mitigate strength loss during a month off?

Hey guys,

In about a month I'll be undergoing a minor surgery that will leave me unable to lift for 2 weeks and unable to lift heavy for an additional 2 weeks. I've recently improved my squat and deadlift SIGNIFICANTLY, and I'd like to do my best to maintain these hard - earned gains. What can I do to make sure the strength loss is minimal and I can hit the ground running once I return to the gym?

I'm thinking a standard maintenance diet with high protein during the 4 weeks post-surgery as well as some (very) light lifting after the 2 weeks of no lifting to try to maintain some of my neural adaptations. After my return, I was thinking a 2 week ramp up similar to the deload week in GBR (80% of previous max weights in week 1 and 90% week 2, adjust if form degrades or whatever).

Also, is there anything I can do in the next month pre - surgery to help prepare for this?

Thanks!
Unread 03-23-2018, 09:40 AM

There was old Muscle Mag strategy, where they recommend you to overtrain for 2 weeks or so before vacation. I don't know how smart it would be to overtrain before surgery. Probably not smart.

After you return, do what's described here: https://bodyrecomposition.com/traini...ayoff-qa.html/

I had a month layoff, did what Lyle said in the article, and I didn't lose any strength. It was refreshing actually.
Unread 03-23-2018, 11:14 AM

Actually just read that article today! Think I'll definitely follow that protocol for after. I don't see the harm in over training before surgery, honestly. Surely, the trauma from the surgery would be much greater than a bit of over training. I could be wrong though
Unread 03-23-2018, 09:11 PM

Any time you can add trauma to trauma is good. That's a double negative. We won't need Stephen Hawking to tell us how that works.
Unread 03-26-2018, 02:29 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
Any time you can add trauma to trauma is good. That's a double negative. We won't need Stephen Hawking to tell us how that works.
Yeah tried this approach. After aggravating my spinal disc with some bad technique leg workout, thought doing some more work would help the issue You know, real men don't grind but do their stuff regardless of pain and other macho crap...

Didn't really work out at the end
Unread 03-26-2018, 03:01 AM

Also: https://store.bodyrecomposition.com/...jury-recovery/
Unread 03-26-2018, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muki View Post
Yeah tried this approach. After aggravating my spinal disc with some bad technique leg workout, thought doing some more work would help the issue You know, real men don't grind but do their stuff regardless of pain and other macho crap...

Didn't really work out at the end
We're all macho idiots deep inside.
Unread 03-27-2018, 09:39 AM

I'd probably just chill out and take a small hit. A full month off training won't make a huge difference and you'll probably right back up to your weight numbers again super quick in a couple of weeks.

Honestly, getting complications in your surgery would be a far bigger hassle for potentially the rest of your life than two weeks of lost time or what not. If you're like the rest of us in the intermediate or newbie ranges it's not worth it.

P.S.
I myself didn't take this advice I'm giving you but I wish I did.