BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Supplements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-23-2011, 11:38 AM

Default Protein powder + hot drinks

I just put 1/2 scoop of protein powder in my coffee just to see what it would taste like... wasn't bad. Then I got to thinking - Did I just denature and ruin all the protein because of the heat?

So what's the deal with this? Does heating your protein shakes or putting the powder in hot drinks completely ruin it's effectiveness?
Unread 03-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Administrator

I'm going to point you to a very important article on the main site. Search Fundamental Principles vs. Irrelevant Details

Because you are SO SO SO focused on the latter it's painful.
Unread 03-23-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
I'm going to point you to a very important article on the main site. Search Fundamental Principles vs. Irrelevant Details

Because you are SO SO SO focused on the latter it's painful.
I read that article last weekend actually...

Why does everyone assume that anytime I ask a question it's because I'm sitting at home paralyzed by anxiety until I get an answer on how to avoid some trivial perceived catastrophe? That's very far from reality. I just enjoy discussing these things and learning as much as possible. And yes, I like to min/max my efforts (just my personality) in whatever I do; it doesn't mean I'm a fretful nervous wreck. I realize that you are probably very busy, but I figured at least other people around here would like to just casually shoot the crap about this stuff.

In regards to this question, possibly denaturing and the ruining protein that I bought is a perfectly valid, non-nitpicky question regardless of what diet plan someone's chosen, isn't it?
Unread 03-23-2011, 12:14 PM

Considering we cook meat at very high tempature and the protein isn't damaged I would assume you much cooler drink won't damage the protein powder.

Having said that it sounds pretty disgusting to me.
Unread 03-23-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
Considering we cook meat at very high tempature and the protein isn't damaged I would assume you much cooler drink won't damage the protein powder.

Having said that it sounds pretty disgusting to me.
LOL thx - it's suprisingly better than I thought it'd be. But yeah, I was just bored mostly so I decided to try it
Unread 03-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Banned

If only you had thought this deeply about your choices when packing on the LBs
Unread 03-23-2011, 01:13 PM

i've done a protein shake with cold coffee and ice. It was pretty good I guess. Frappacino like?

I can't imagine putting ENOUGH protein powder in hot coffee to make it worthwhile.
Unread 03-23-2011, 01:25 PM

i put 2 scoops of protein in my coffee every morning before my 5am client and have been doing it for over a year. Vanilla protein is like creamer to the coffee and makes it damn good. I have expirimented with other flavors and its hit or miss. I've always wanted to try a fruity flavor in hot green tea though........doubt ill try that soon though
Unread 03-23-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic View Post
I read that article last weekend actually...

Why does everyone assume that anytime I ask a question it's because I'm sitting at home paralyzed by anxiety until I get an answer on how to avoid some trivial perceived catastrophe? That's very far from reality. I just enjoy discussing these things and learning as much as possible. And yes, I like to min/max my efforts (just my personality) in whatever I do; it doesn't mean I'm a fretful nervous wreck. I realize that you are probably very busy, but I figured at least other people around here would like to just casually shoot the crap about this stuff.
Its kind of how you come across.

That and/or there is a bit of a lack of perspective over what is important and what isn't.

I am not flaming you for being interested. I spend too long on this forum, and other sites myself. If you want to learn though I would just spend time reading. There are probably huge areas of information you would find fascinating about diet/exercise. And which you could be reading about instead of asking about almost totally insignificant things.
Unread 03-23-2011, 04:18 PM

OK apparently, for some reason completely missed by me, I am really rubbing some of you veteran guys the wrong way by asking stuff. I admit I post frequently, but my zeal is only fueled by my interests - not worries that I need other people to "fix." I can't say it any better than what I said above. I read stuff constantly and make it a point to always avoid posting a question that has already been reasonably discussed (not without fail, admittedly).

Some of you guys come across as if I am somehow creating extra work for you & seriously stressing you out. Please don't feel like you are obligated to reply to stuff that I post. Most of the time I am not asking for help with anything, I am just interested in talking with like-minded people. If you feel that I am generally just cluttering up an otherwise neat & tidy forum with stuff that no one else would find useful or interesting, then I'll stop posting... but I just honestly can't say I see where you're coming from, especially in regards to some of the other questions that get posted here.

So what exactly are these forums for? How are new people supposed to know what's important and what's trivial if they can't ask without condescension?

Last edited by drastic : 03-23-2011 at 04:20 PM.