BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-11-2012, 03:43 PM

Smile Intermittent fasting

Hey guys,
Who here uses intermittent fasting on a regular basis? Im curious to know what can be experienced from this, good and bad, and your results. But Ive mainly heard good things about it.
I stumbled across a guy on youtube called Joeseph mercola who looks to be in his late 50's, he uses Intermittent fasting regularly and is reported to have GH levels 9x higher than someone 25+ years younger than him!
The way he uses it is he will have his last meal for the day on say a Monday night at 7pm, do an intense workout the next day at about 10am, eat after the workout and continue to eat every 3 to 4 hours after this, going back to normal.
Thoughts/experiences please
Unread 03-11-2012, 04:38 PM

A click above is a damn long sticky with 80pages and you're asking here?
Unread 03-11-2012, 06:31 PM

That doesnt make sense
Unread 03-11-2012, 06:38 PM

Read the sticky The Leangains Guide (it's closed now), and search the progress logs.
Unread 03-11-2012, 06:41 PM

thanks dude, Im new to this site
Unread 03-11-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff7628 View Post
thanks dude, Im new to this site
Don't be confused. It's pretty simple if you read the rules. Bottom line is you're expected to search first before asking questions which leads many people to start their posts with "I searched but didn't find anything about..."

Having said that I think a post like yours is original enough that it warrants a new thread. There are lots of intermittent fasting threads and a huge sticky but I'm unaware of one that polls others on their experiences like your question.
Unread 03-11-2012, 11:23 PM

I've IF'd since 2010 or so and have liked it. It's just convenient for me. And it helps me stay in my calorie limits for the day with the limited window. Some may have the opposite experience and just use it as an excuse to binge and it doesn't work. I haven't had any blood work done or anything so I can't say anything there. And I haven't had any crazy results or anything, but I still enjoy it. It can be an effective approach. I've used it while bulking and cutting.

In short, it ain't magic, but I like it.

And yeah there are a ton of threads, most notably the one mentioned above, that talk about IFing. And a lot of people on this board and many others use it. Give it a try and see if it works for you, because there can be plenty of benefits, just don't expect anything too dramatic just because you're fasting.
Unread 03-12-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loc View Post
I've IF'd since 2010 or so and have liked it. It's just convenient for me. And it helps me stay in my calorie limits for the day with the limited window. Some may have the opposite experience and just use it as an excuse to binge and it doesn't work. I haven't had any blood work done or anything so I can't say anything there. And I haven't had any crazy results or anything, but I still enjoy it. It can be an effective approach. I've used it while bulking and cutting.

In short, it ain't magic, but I like it.

And yeah there are a ton of threads, most notably the one mentioned above, that talk about IFing. And a lot of people on this board and many others use it. Give it a try and see if it works for you, because there can be plenty of benefits, just don't expect anything too dramatic just because you're fasting.
This is pretty much my experience with it.

I don't know exactly how to do a protocol in Martin's style, and I'm far too impatient to do +20/-20 EOD style like he suggests, so I'm on a purely hypocaloric diet each day, with some refeeds/free (cheat) meals in from time to time. I combine a lot of what Lyle writes with IF, since the fast does nothing negative to my metabolic rate, and may actually help raise it to some degree.

It's mostly convenience though. Like I've stated elsewhere, I find it far more manageable to be uncomfortable for a 4-6 hour block (the hours I'm awake and fasting) than to be hungry all day long. If I'm restricting caloric intake to 14-1800 kcal a day, as I am, I'd rather do that in 2-3 larger meals, than try to break it down in "meals" that are 3-500 kcal per meal five times a day, and obsess over missing a meal. It's insane to eat like that, imo. I'm extremely pleased that I found these sites and learned about IF.
Unread 03-12-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweeTLemonS View Post
If I'm restricting caloric intake to 14-1800 kcal a day, as I am, I'd rather do that in 2-3 larger meals, than try to break it down in "meals" that are 3-500 kcal per meal five times a day, and obsess over missing a meal. It's insane to eat like that, imo. I'm extremely pleased that I found these sites and learned about IF.
Why does it have to be 5 meals a day or IF? Why can't you just eat 2-3 larger meals spread throughout the day? Like a breakfast...lunch....then dinner.
Unread 03-12-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popupwindow View Post
Why does it have to be 5 meals a day or IF? Why can't you just eat 2-3 larger meals spread throughout the day? Like a breakfast...lunch....then dinner.
Nothing wrong with that either. I agree, it doesn't have to be "IF or bust."
Just for me personally it's simply the fact that I have less time to eat with IF so I eat less. If I have breakfast, lunch, and dinner at their regular times, it just gives me more time in between to eat. Obviously not everyone's like that though.
Like I said, try different things and see what works for you.