BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-16-2013, 01:51 PM

Default Monk fruit sweetener vs sucralose vs stevia

I've been saving some calories and money using Ez-Sweetz liquid sucralose that I've been buying off amazon for $13 for 2 oz. I was looking around at walmart and saw that Nevella makes this 'Sucralose to go" liquid sweetener in 1.68 oz containers for just under $4 a container. I bought one to test if the concentration is about the same. So far, I use as many squeezes as drops per Ez-Sweetz so this looks like it might be a better deal. I can get 3 of these 1.68fl oz containers for every 1 Ez-Sweetz container.

Anyway, I saw that this company also sells liquid Stevia and liquid monk fruit sweetener. I haven't tried either so was curious how people compare the taste of each. They all seem to have no maltodextrin filler like the powder stuff so they should all be 0 calories.

Just based on a quick read, it looks like sucralose is sweeter tasting than stevia so I'll probably save money as I'd use less. I gotta try the stevia stuff to see if I taste a difference.

Main question: How do people think the taste and sweetness of this monk fruit derived sweetener compares to sucralose? I did a quick search of forum and didn't see any posts about it. Apparently, it's new to the market according to this Dec 2012 Chicago Tribune article.
Unread 01-16-2013, 03:58 PM

I personally use stevia. I also use a stevia/erythritol mix.

Aside from Wikipedia, here are some reads you might find insightful.

Stevia, the Anti-Diabetic Sweetener: Extract from the Leaves of Stevia rebaudiana Exhibit Anti-Diabetic Effects in Animal Model

Stevia - So Much More Than Just a Natural Sweetener: Combination "Therapy" With Stevia and Fenugreek as Effective as Common Diabetes Drug!

Stevia Increases Satellite Cell Recruitment and Ameliorates Insulin Resistance by Reducing NF-KappaB Mediated Inflammatory Response to Muscle Damage & High Fat Diet

Stevia - More Than Super Sweet: More Scientific Evidence, More Potential Implications for Weight Loss & -Maintenance, Anti-Diabetic & -Autoimmune and Even Pro-Anabolic Effects

The world doesn't stand still. We should always be ready to question even our most cherished beliefs, and prepared to change our minds in the face of new evidence. It is imperative that we apply the same standards of critical thinking to all arguments.

For all Supplement Questions
Unread 01-16-2013, 05:28 PM

Also what's your opinion on Xylitol ? I've heard rumours it can reverse tooth damage.

I hope I'm not diluting the topic. I thought it's another "healthy" sweetener so you might find it interesting as well. But if not then just ignore the question
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Also what's your opinion on Xylitol ? I've heard rumours it can reverse tooth damage.

I hope I'm not diluting the topic. I thought it's another "healthy" sweetener so you might find it interesting as well. But if not then just ignore the question
Xylitol doesn't reverse tooth damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Recent research[17] confirms a plaque-reducing effect and suggests the compound, having some chemical properties similar to sucrose, attracts and then "starves" harmful micro-organisms.

Most of these studies suggest that at least 6 grams of xylitol per day is needed for dental efficacy; for most chewing gum or breath mints this would require 12 pieces per day.[15]
Also, it can irritate the bowls of some people with excessive intake, and it only has 33% fewer calories than sugar. Compare this with stevia which doesn't induce insulin secretion or have calories, or even erythritol which has only .2 Calories/gram and doesn't affect insulin.

The world doesn't stand still. We should always be ready to question even our most cherished beliefs, and prepared to change our minds in the face of new evidence. It is imperative that we apply the same standards of critical thinking to all arguments.

Unread 01-18-2013, 10:50 PM

Stevie tastes like crap, eythr is hard to get and xylitol causes da shiz. I'd stick to sucrlose.
Unread 01-19-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdii View Post
Stevie tastes like crap, eythr is hard to get and xylitol causes da shiz. I'd stick to sucrlose.
aspartame is pretty good in small amounts, but leaves a bad aftertaste if you eat it often
Unread 01-19-2013, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iopq View Post
aspartame is pretty good in small amounts, but leaves a bad aftertaste if you eat it often
Aspartame is good unless it gives you headaches . And to be fair, Stevia leaf powder is decent in drinks.

Last edited by abdii : 01-19-2013 at 03:01 AM.
Unread 01-19-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primalkid View Post
Also, it can irritate the bowls of some people with excessive intake, and it only has 33% fewer calories than sugar. Compare this with stevia which doesn't induce insulin secretion or have calories, or even erythritol which has only .2 Calories/gram and doesn't affect insulin.
Is keeping insulin low the better option?
Unread 01-19-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoomc View Post
Is keeping insulin low the better option?
The better option compared to what?

My rationality for using erythritol or stevia as opposed to other artificial sweeteners is that they don't have the ambiguity of safety or side effects. Yes, I know virtually all of those studies were done in animal models, but still. Furthermore, stevia may poses anti-diabetic and possibly even anabolic effects (see my reply to OP for the links). Plus, both are zero calorie (technically erythritol has .2Cal/g), and they don't induce insulin secretion, making them great for when your fasting, cutting, or going low-carb.

Unread 02-26-2013, 02:30 AM

I just wanted to give an update. After so research and price checking, I realized that those liquids at Walmart are overpriced since they dilute the active ingredients a ton with the water.

My journey lead me to this thread on some lowcard forum:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...id-stevia.html

I haven't actually made the liquid, but the posts there got me to research just ordering the pure powder to use as a sweetner. I made my own Steviva, which is erythritol and stevia extract. Ultimately, I realized the stevia extract itself works better for me. I use about half a teaspoon in my tea now.

I started with an order for 4oz of NOW Better Stevia from netrition which $17.99. I also ordered erythritol to make the Steviva type blend. That was decent but I had to use to much to make my drinks as sweet as I like so, as I said above, I went to just using the pure powder.

Ultimately, I've settled on buying truenutrition's stevia powder. Their stevia extract powder is $6.95 50g, but $4.65 for 5-9 50 gm pouches, and $4.05 for 10+. This is about half the price of the Now stuff I ordered, and TN's stuff must be a purer powder as the same volume of their stuff tastes sweeter than the NOW stuff.

Ordering from TN is good too because i order my Yohimbine and Milk Protein from them so I can combine stuff so I don't get killed by their $11-15 shipping as badly when I order a bunch of stuff.

Last edited by rhwbullhead : 02-26-2013 at 02:44 AM. Reason: typos