BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-09-2013, 07:23 PM

Default #imfatlolol

Wanted to create a generic log to keep myself accountable over the next several months (or maybe even the next several decades), especially when it comes to diet and nutrition. I use another site for my training/general BSing needs, but since Lyle is the source of 99% of my nutrition-related knowledge (RFL, UD2.0, articles on his site and other sites, forum posts, etc.), I figured I'd maintain a log here. Also, posting here during my last two RFL cycles definitely helped keep me focused (see signature for links to my previous logs).

Basic Info:
Sex: Yes
Height: 5'8"
Weight: ~175 lbs
BF%: ~15%

2013 Goals:
- Six-pack abs brah (<12% BF) - go Team "Abs-by-Xmas"
- Maintenance BW of 170 (carb/water'ed up, i.e., non-depleted weight) - this is pretty arbitrary... just wanted a round # to calc. the #s below

2014 Goals:
- 340 squat (2.0x BW)
- 255 bench (1.5x BW)
- 425 deadlift (2.5x BW)
- Ten-pack abs brah (<0% BF)

I'm not too far off from any of my lift goals, but I don't expect to make any gainz in 2013 since the focus for the rest of the year will be on fat loss / body recomp. The squat goal may be a bit more difficult since I'm dealing with some bum knees and my right quad is all f'ed up, but I'm taking at least a month off of quad/knee-heavy work - hope that helps.

Diet:
- 16/8 IF
- Training macros (P/C/F | kcal): 221/162/102 | 2,450
- Rest day macros (P/C/F | kcal): 162/59/77 | 1,575
- Cheat meals: officially, no; unofficially, yes (but only going to cheat for specific occasions - birthday parties, big alumni events, work outings, holidays, if I see something tasty on TV, etc.)

Macros were provided to me via a trainer. More fat than I'm used to given I've RFL'ed the past two months, but I'm going to stick with it for the near term and then re-evaluate. Trainer will also help adjust macros as needed.

Training:
- 4 four-week phases
- Current phase involves a lot of circuit training, which I hate, but I'm going to stick w/ the program for now
- Subsequent phases TBD

My biggest near-term challenge will be sticking to my diet/training program once I start my new job next week. RFL'ing the last two months was easy since I had a very flexible schedule (wasn't working), so it'll be interesting to see how things play out in the upcoming months. Not only will my schedule present a challenge, but my lunch and dinner will be catered/provided by my firm, which is great on the wallet but potentially bad for the diet. Next week, I'll have a better idea of how much of an obstacle this will be. If there are a lot of healthy options, then great, but if not, I may consider bringing my own food to work.

The program officially started this Monday (Oct. 7), but I started yesterday since I was traveling Monday and wanted an extra day to stuff my face.

Leggo!
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:26 AM

Weight: (daily)
Oct. 10 - 173.0
Oct. 9 - 174.8
Oct. 8 - 176.0 #lolcrushfest

I know daily weigh-ins make some people crazy, but it actually helps me a lot. Minor fluctuations aside (+/- 2 lbs), it reinforces my eating behavior, i.e., if I have a cheat meal (or cheat day or cheat month), I definitely see it on the scale for the next couple of days. Given I'm eating carbs now, the fluctuations should be more reflective of major deviations in my diet rather than spikes in water levels. Not going to overthink things if I'm +/- 5 lbs (based on todays weight - so 168-178), but hopefully we see a slight downward trend since this is program has a recomp focus. I'll be paying more attention to the waist measurement.

Waist: (every other week)
Oct. 8 - 32.75"

+0.75" since my final depleted RFL measurement on the morning of Oct. 4. Pretty sizable jump, but I went to town this past weekend when I went home to visit the parents (and when I say "went to town", I seriously mean I ate an entire town's worth of food).

I also have a "Before" photo that I took the morning of Oct. 8, but I'll post that whenever I have time to werk my Instagram skillz. Progress photo every four weeks (at the end of each training phase).
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:33 AM

Weight:
Oct. 11 - 171.8
Oct. 10 - 173.0
Oct. 9 - 174.8
Oct. 8 - 176.0

May need to increase my carbs next week. Not too worried about today or this weekend since I have a huge alumni event tomorrow (think of it as a super refeed + cheat meal), but I'm a little surprised at how much water weight I've lost in the last few days. My beginning weight was clearly inflated, but I didn't expect to be down ~5 lbs already (I am still +4.2 my pre-refeed weight). Not worried.

Yesterday was a rest day, but I ended up doing some jump roping (easy) and bag work (tough). In college, I took a few Muay Thai classes and really liked it, but it was expensive and tough to work into my schedule. Yesterday, I went to my new gym and saw that they had a lot of bags (presumably for cardio kickboxing/boxing), so I thought I'd practice my technique. Just as a I started, a trainer popped up and asked if I was training MT. Turns out he trains/fights and he has been looking for people to train (this particular gym is very yuppie/business professional oriented, which = no MT interest), so he hooked me up with a free hour-long training session. My lower body's pretty sore today (sucks since I have to work out in an hour), but it was well worth it.

At the end of the session, he said, "Are you training like a bodybuilder? Those guys aren't functional at all. I'd rather have an athletic body." I agreed with him, but I lied - I want to pack on a lot more muscle. Like 5 years worth of muscle.
Unread 10-11-2013, 08:48 AM

yeah brah
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjc View Post
Basic Info:

2013 Goals:
- Six-pack abs brah (<12% BF) - go 2014 Goals:

^^^^This....
10pack.jpg

- Ten-pack abs brah (<0% BF)

^^^^^ AND THIS!!!!

My RFL Log
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=21716

My new "Flexible" Diet Log (9/8/13)
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=26761
Unread 10-11-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjc View Post
At the end of the session, he said, "Are you training like a bodybuilder? Those guys aren't functional at all. I'd rather have an athletic body."
"I like the athletic look" tends to be code for "I read fitness mags and have no clue how to lift". Get huge brah!

(+ Negative bf% or go home)
Unread 10-11-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbells View Post
"I like the athletic look" tends to be code for "I read fitness mags and have no clue how to lift". Get huge brah!

(+ Negative bf% or go home)
Booyah! You know, You see a lot of "big" fat guys*, and a lot of "small" lean guys*. But you don't often see "big AND lean" guys*. And it's because most people don't know how to cut. They're still using the "high rep double split and HIIT" routine they read in Flex magazine, and losing all their LBM. NO ONE in my gym does heavy full body or upper/lower split. It's all back/bi's, chest/tri's and shoulders/no legs. A handful of people do some deads and squats, but the racks are more commonly used for curls. WE have had the privilege to be exposed to principles that work. And we have made the choice to use them! So, here's to being "big AND ripped". Or at least knowing HOW to!

*= or Gals

My RFL Log
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=21716

My new "Flexible" Diet Log (9/8/13)
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=26761
Unread 10-11-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyguns18 View Post
Booyah! You know, You see a lot of "big" fat guys*, and a lot of "small" lean guys*. But you don't often see "big AND lean" guys*. And it's because most people don't know how to cut. They're still using the "high rep double split and HIIT" routine they read in Flex magazine, and losing all their LBM. NO ONE in my gym does heavy full body or upper/lower split. It's all back/bi's, chest/tri's and shoulders/no legs. A handful of people do some deads and squats, but the racks are more commonly used for curls. WE have had the privilege to be exposed to principles that work. And we have made the choice to use them! So, here's to being "big AND ripped". Or at least knowing HOW to!

*= or Gals
I don't think there's a lack of big and lean guys because they don't know how to cut - I think they just don't care about getting super lean. The big bodybuilder types look lean even if they're >15% BF (simply because they have so much muscle mass), and the fat+strong guys (e.g., powerlifters) probably don't care about physique.
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:23 PM

Uh oh, diet isn't going too well. I'm getting my protein in, but I think my carb/fat intake might be a bit too high. SO MANY SNACKS IN THE OFFICE!!!!

I kind of expected this to happen, so let's chalk it up as a one-week adjustment period (first week of my new job). Put in a huge order of turkey jerky (should come in early next week), so hopefully that + almonds + fruit + tons of water/coffee/diet sodas will keep me away from all the junk. I'm able to order healthy, high protein lunches and dinners too, so I have no excuses.

My workouts on the other hand...

Unread 10-19-2013, 05:16 AM

Hey, even if you can't OCD out on macros, try and still log the meals here daily - it'll help keep you from office snack creep.
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbells View Post
Hey, even if you can't OCD out on macros, try and still log the meals here daily - it'll help keep you from office snack creep.
Thanks for staying on top of me. Admittedly, I was pretty lazy about macros/eating last week, but I'll get back on track this week. My lunch and dinner are catered, which means I'll be eyeballing my macros, but I don't think this will be an issue. All I really need to focus on is my protein intake since my fat macros will take care of themselves (through my protein choices + the oils/sauces that my food is cooked/flavored in), and I can grab an apple, banana, bread, oatmeal, cereal, etc. on my workout days for some carbs.

Will keep a log of what I eat throughout the day and post it tonight.