BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-15-2013, 04:19 PM

Default Hitchhiker's Log, UD2

Hello folks,

Disclaimer: UD2 is quoted in the title because I may veer from it as written. If I do I'll make sure to call it out at the beginning of a log entry. (Edit: Fr*ck, after all that, quotes didn't 'take'. *shrug*)

This is my first UD2 run. I've been at it 2-some weeks now, and am logging it so that ... honestly, I don't know why but here're the usual suspects: I may benefit from others' observations, and it may benefit somebody else's journey (among UD2 logs I've seen Silock's is the closest to what I'd have liked to see).

I did a 7-day test cycle before "officially" starting the run. Exercises were easy enough -- I'm used to 8x8 sets (though at higher cals) so depletion workouts were OK; nothing to report re tension or power workouts, though I may need to get creative w/ latter since I max out legs machines at my gym.

Nutrition on low-cal days was on target (basically, RFL-d it).

The refeed was straightforward enough to set up but I ran into a gotcha I realized only later (will elaborate next entry).

Starting stats:

Scale wt: 154lb
%BF: 10-ish? assume 11%
LBM: 137lb

Starting pic below, morning of tension day, pre-cardio. Of the fractional legend top left the "numerator" indicates cycle#(#days in cycle)-total days; the "denominator" is the start date of the cycle.

Last edited by ipax : 10-15-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:58 AM

Default c1(7)-d0

The prior 7-day cycle was a test, and this is my official start.

Debriefing test cycle:

Unfortunately I look a little worse off from whence I started a week ago, likely due the following: I was shooting for the low end of the carb refeed, but overshot it by some 300g; luckily apod1991's question had me catch that after the fact so this cycle should be better.

Going into this cycle:

Scale wt: 154lb normal, +2-3 refed, 151lb depleted

Unread 10-16-2013, 10:40 AM

Good luck to you. How tall are you?
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:00 AM

Are you an art guy or something? I noticed the addition of random pics to recipes before and now I see your head shading matches your hair (presumably).

Good luck with the UD2, not that you really need it.
Unread 10-16-2013, 12:54 PM

loc, thank you. 5'9 on a good day.

Brad, not at all; in fact, for being an engg major, a tech guy if anything.

The pics in those recipes weren't supposed to be "random"; if that's how they come across obviously I did a poor job Yes, the mask matches the facial silhouette including the "spiky" hair, which spikiness, I joke, is really what has girls accept my invitations to dance

BTW, I can use all the luck I can find, believe me, and I'm always appreciative of well-wishes so thank you.

Last edited by ipax : 10-16-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Unread 10-16-2013, 01:40 PM

Default c2(7)-d7

Debriefing prior cycle:

Nothing to report re exercise -- all 3 of depletion/tension/power workouts were straightforward, and easy enough.

I hadn't worked out a meal plan for days 6 and 7, assuming I could guesstimate things on the fly. As things turned out I had to go back and do so, so here on out I'll at least pencil in something.

This cycle:

Scale wt: 154lb normal, +2-3 refed, 151lb depleted (all same as prior cycle)

Left in the inset panel in the following pic is olive fougasse, fromager d'affinois, Pam-fried egg, coconut oil, and dollops of olive tapenade, Sunday, for which I subbed out some chicken, etc. Delicious. Didn't update official meal plan.

Middle item in the panel is "semolina fudge" as it's supposed to be done, with lots of butter and sugar, made for a visiting friend. Those adapted "grits" pale in comparison.

Why the pic, inset right, of boiled-over fat-free milk crusted onto stove drip tray? Because even as I head to clean it I figure, f*ck, this is food that I'm due and "deserve," and flake off and eat some of it before washing off the rest. Didn't sub out anything for that one :-p Heh, don't knock rationalizations indeed.

I really enjoy fruits, grapes are a favorite, and I can and often do go through some 5lb at a sitting. In addition to "real food". How the mighty have fallen.

Last edited by ipax : 10-16-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:23 PM

Hey ipax,

Thats a great log you've started there man, is putting mine to shame! I could definitely learn a thing or two from what your eating, lots more veggies and beans than my diet.

Goodluck, you'll smash it.
Unread 10-17-2013, 06:51 AM

Pinto, very gracious of you. Thing is I'm already chafing at the restrictions of this format and think I'd be better served logging elsewhere. We'll see.

More veggies, sure, but do approach beans w/ caution :-D

Anyhoo, thanx for the wellwishes. You, too, especially given your scheduling challenges!
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:32 AM

Default c3(7)-d14

Debriefing prior cycle(s):

The c2 cycle has served to get me partway back to the state before the test cycle's refeed fiasco. I still look "thicker" and more "blurry" and rue the "wasted" weeks, but figure I'll live. Am indebted to apod1991 that it wasn't worse.

Things have started to get interesting.

Re depletion exercises, I've taken to completing all sets of of an exercise, possibly supersetted w/ another, then moving onto the next one rather than performing multiple circuits.

Injured right bicep during Thu tension workout. Wasn't at maximal weight or high volume, so was just one of those things. Which wouldn't be so bad except I boneheadedly continued to go out dancing and heavy, rough follows didn't help matters. This cycle (c3) I'll sit out the dancing, omit/modify exercises as necessary to help rehabilitation, and take off entirely if need be.

Refeed went better than in the prior cycle. Having meal plans for days 6 and 7 helped ... but what I got present to is that this is a diet through and through (duh), that there is no ad-lib eating anytime, and that I need to alter my mindset for days 6 and 7. Those two days are simply protein reqs + recommended carbs, rather than a freewheeling, laissez-faire continuation of the preceding refeed. So noted.

In any event, the refeed day itself is no special joy -- thus far I've come up w/ precious little food volume, and could eat double that. In c2, for example, of cooked dishes pic-right only half the grits, half the beans, and one of the bread loaves were slated for the refeed day proper. This cycle's (c3) broccoli soup is an attempt to add calorically sparse food volume. I've given up on the semolina fudge/grits as it *so* pales in comparison to the real thing; may still use semolina for savory dishes. And gotta skip schmancy breads, maybe PB too: them fat cals add up mad fast.

One last thing about the higher-cal days -- I need to learn/think more about refeed effects in addition to their hormonal/metabolic repair. Especially this "supercompensation" business if it leads to fuller/bigger muscles. I have no desire to get hyooge, brah -- a brolic, bodybuilder-esque look is antithetical to my aesthetics, and I've no desire to get even close to my genetic limit. In the past I've been 207 and still growing at ~ the same BF on mindless amounts of grilled chicken and mindlessly heavy weight, and am only too glad to have become mindful in time to backpedal. Heck, even over the past year I've worked at reducing arm size. And if anything I'd take "flat and etched" over "full and [whatever]" any day.

Definition of terms (mine):
"fat-lean": low subcutaneous fat
"shape-lean": lean of shape; think pine tree vs oak, or stereotypical surfer vs bodybuilder body shapes

My goals include being both fat- and shape-lean. The former is within my control; the latter, being hugely helped by picking one's parents carefully, notsomuch. The way things are, well, shaping up I expect to get fat-lean, but am wary of this supercompensation business making for a different look than I want. Yes, I really need to accumulate more (personal) data points because I suspect that with each additional cycle the same refeed amounts will cause less deviation from the status quo; less hypertrophy, for example. (FWIW, starting w/ c2 I see a return to "normal weight" by Monday morning, rather than a holdover of refeed weight 1-2 days into the subsequent cycle). Still I figure to have a contingency plan on hand should the thick-muscle trend continue.

To that end I've been trying to research variations w/ a different refeed: e.g. a "6+1 CKD" that mrlakramondas mentioned; found nothing thus far. (mrlak, if you see this pls would you point me to a day-to-day schedule and refeed guidelines if such exist; if not, no probs, I'll make up commin' based off what you outlined before).

Alternately I may go with 1 or 2 14-day cycles, then switch back to 7-day ones. We'll see.

On the flip side I have 2 areas I *do* want to grow: chest (historically ignored it for not wanting to build b**bs and only recently reassessed/playing catchup), and calves (also ignored historically, out of laziness because they didn't respond easy). Am curious whether training variables could be manipulated to those ends.

This cycle:

Scale wt: 150-151lb depleted

Images are pre- and post-cardio morning of tension. Only change is that latter is slightly (and undesirably) "pumped" and its middle pic has an embarrassing boy-band head tilt. Good thing they're masked :-/

Re Day 7 cals I know I added non-carb something to bring up cals slightly for a smaller deficit.

Those are "slices" of Cherry Garcia fro-yo on the bread. Meh. "rice pudding 2" also meh, mostly because I'd need much more fro-yo to really soak the rice. Pity. Ice cream over warm white rice (or quinoa) has been a fav. The white chocolate and marzipan -- gifts from visiting friend -- are in pic just for show, but one of these days I'mma *destroy* 'em.

Last edited by ipax : 10-17-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:25 PM

Default c4(14)-d25

Notes:
-- changed pic legend; dnn indicates ordinal day since start of run, counting from 1.

Debriefing prior cycle:

In the power workout for maxing out machines I've started training 1 leg at a time. (Un)surprisingly for the first set I could start off only ~ 30% of 2-leg max, neurological retraining I guess, but moved up to 45% in subsequent sets. It'll be interesting to pass 50%.

My arm continues to bother me -- gymtime is OK since I can control locus but dancing, far less controllable, retards healing. Bleh.

Physique seems to be going in a mostly-desirable direction, though these 3 weeks of pics look mostly boringly similar and it's too early to tell.

This cycle:

Scale weight: 148 - 150lb depleted

Making this a 14-day cycle, thus far at least.