BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-04-2014, 09:19 PM

Default GoldenDilemma UD 2.0 Log

Hello!

I really appreciate Lyle's work and have been lurking these forums the past couple weeks. I figure registering and making a log would be fun. So, here it is!

Started dieting on August 7th 2013.

Starting body weight was 228.1lbs:
http://imgur.com/ELYvNLk

Started my cut on 3,550 - 3,650 and was dropping 2lbs a week. Macros were 220-230/60-85/390-590 P/F/C .. range depending on what I felt like eating that day (total cal and pro intake being prime focus).

No additional activity - focused strictly on deficit through calories (and keeping my already active lifestyle the same). Early-Mid October I added in refeeds because the scale was acting weird but this kept momentum (and, a linear/almost predictable 2lbs a week). This lasted until the first week of November, however, I had made very slight caloric adjustments bi-weekly or when I felt like it. So, come the first week of November I was down to around 3,100 or so and was weighing in the high 190's - low 200's.

My progress had slowed down at this point and then I upped my calories to 3,400 and added in some cardio sessions. This got the ball rolling for a couple weeks and then things slowed down again.

I was also feeling sorta burnt out at this point (even with refeeds) and things caught up to me and progress stalled again. I stuck to my means of "trial and error" and experimented with different things. Eventually the hunger coupled with some frustration of progress coming to a halt lead to me taking a diet break and I was eating mid-high 4000's at this point. Perhaps a mistake on my behalf and I might have gained some fat back but from mid December (post diet break) - Mid January I kept trying things and weight loss was really too slow.

Got frustrated and said that it's time to try something new. I realized that trial and error is fine but I wanted to do things as efficiently as possible because dieting sucks and I don't wanna be hungry 24/7 only dropping .5lbs a week until I find the "sweet spot" to get progress moving again.

So, upon doing research, UD 2.0 was the thing that made the most sense. I figured:

- 30lbs dropped had some impact on my metabolism, I am also shooting past levels of leanness I have never been at. So, I figure there are some hormonal responses going on making things difficult to get leaner (at least from a psychological perspective of feeling hungry 24/7 even with sufficient macro/fiber intake)

- I'd like to get to 8% - 10%, and from my estimated amount of LBM (more below), I should have another 10-15lbs to drop

- UD 2.0 made the most sense given my circumstance

Tomorrow is my 22nd day on UD 2.0 and it made most sense for my schedule to start Day 1 on Wednesday (so, today, writing this on Tuesday is technically "Day 7" for me).

Here is how I was looking post re-feed this past Sunday evening (February 2nd 2014):

http://imgur.com/XAebHO0

http://imgur.com/XAebHO0&0tkWCRD#1

I haven't attached a photo of my legs, but I will be sure to do that. I do train legs, yes.. not hiding them!

My last weigh in was January 29th and I was 190.5lbs. Tomorrow morning (February 5th 2014) will be my next weigh in. In reference to the above photo, I feel I am my "driest" Saturday morning (which is "Day 4" for me) and I have yet to find the absolute sweet spot with my carb loads without spilling over. But, I am not too concerned about that - I am more focused on still dropping fat and getting down to where I need to be which I estimate is in the 175lb - 178lb zone.

In terms of macros:

1,500 cals on depletion.
250/30/30 (P/C/F) is my base which is putting me just shy of 1400, and then I either add more C or F depending on what I feel like.

I follow the full body split over 2 days for my depletion session. I am doing 25 mins of LISS on Days 1, 2 and after the tension workout.

As for refeed, I am upwards of 1,325g of carbs and put my protein down to .8g per lb of BW. Fat is 30g - 50g.

Day 6 and 7, cals are 2,400. I just focus on 200g pro and 60-100g fat (depending how I feel) and the rest in carbs (with respect to fat intake... lower fat, more carbs... higher fat, less carbs). I use these 2 days to eat some stuff that I am craving hence the range. After I finish writing this I am gonna have some green tea ice cream

In terms of performance - strength is gradually going down. I suspect given the duration of my diet, and where I am currently sitting with body fat, it's bound to happen. My current level of body fat is the fattest I want to get from here on in - a long term manipulation of my body fat set point is largely why I am doing this cut. I want my range to be between 8% - 15% and keep it that way. At my absolute fattest, my range was between 215lbs - 230lbs; I would do bulk/cut cycles (usually 6 months on, 1 month of dieting, repeat)... but the problem was I was too fat to begin with. I plan to do the same thing but just start leaner.

When I do get back to bulking, which I suspect won't be for another couple months as reverse dieting will likely be in order post UD 2.0, my game plan is to be gaining 2-3lbs a month and milking a modified 5/3/1 put into a legs/push/pull split. Then I'll gain for x amount of months, do a mini cut, see how fat I am, and repeat. It's key that I keep that BF% range though.

I also will take a diet break near the end of February/early March, and will continue with UD 2.0 post break until I reach my goal. But, things are looking optimistic for me if I can maintain 1.5lbs - 2lbs a week.

As of my general feelings - I feel like crap most of the time but I figure that's par for the course. My libido is non existent until I get my pre-workout/post-workout carbs in on the carb load and my entire mental focus has been shifted towards just getting through the days (especially the depletion days). I do remind myself however that it is mind over matter and I am sure to appreciate the small things which make my day more tolerable (such as listening to music, watching a nice film, playing my instrument if I have enough energy to do so).

The biggest sack in the nads for morale is not being able to practice my instrument for as long as I used to simply because I do not have the energy. 4+ hours is what I am used to... now it is reduced down to maximum 2 hours with lots of short breaks so I can regain my hootzpah to get back to it. I am a drummer so things get very physical (and, I also attribute this to why I initially had such a huge TDEE).

But, it's OK - I am not getting worse as a drummer and have progressed even in spite of low energy and such... it starts with the mind. I know what I want to achieve when I play before I sit down and do so, even if it's short, and I will make sure I make it happen and progress forward between my daily/weekly/monthly/etc practice sessions.

Anyway, aside from that little tangent, I will basically just post back here every once in a while with pics and that's that. Nothing special about my nutrition or the specifics as to what exercise I use to deplete my legs

I also want to thank Lyle. Thanks, Lyle.

If anyone has questions, ask em.
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:02 AM

Weighed in at 187.1lbs today.

Eating egg frittata as I type:
315g egg white
45g protein powder
1 tsp baking powder, splash of vanilla extract, 1 tsp splenda

whisked together, cooked on med stove for 2-4 mins, then tossed in 350 oven until golden on top. usually takes 5 or so mins, but check it and make sure it is still "moist".

topped with 100g of 0% strawberry greek yog and Walden Farms syrup.

Macros: 3/11/80 (F/C/P)
Total cals: 390

I'll have a tablespoon of MCT oil after my coffee, morning emails and quick bit of Skyrim and then hit depletion workout.

Last edited by GoldenDilemma : 02-05-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:22 AM

Wow, great progress! Keep up the good work.
Unread 02-05-2014, 09:45 AM

Thanks! Depletion time.
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:35 AM

Some leg pics taken during yesterdays work out:

http://imgur.com/LiTpacS&MsWgYa7
http://imgur.com/LiTpacS&MsWgYa7#1

Depletion workout was fine. Felt like a breeze. However, post-workout was completely in zombie mode for the rest of the day. I am gonna go finish the depletion work this afternoon, get a bit of practicing in and then relax at home during the evening. I now know to book my schedule as being pretty relaxed for days 1-4 on this cycle.

In case anyone is curious, here are the supps I am taking:

creatine 5g (up to 20g during carb load)

beta alanine 3g*

l-tyrosine 3g-5g*

AOR Ortho Core Multi x 2

Vit D up to 7,000IUs since I get the rest in the Ortho Core (putting me around 10,000IU)

Vit C - I chew a few as a snack

Liquid calcium - 2 tablespoons a day

fish oil - tablespoon a day

100mg 5-HTP couple hours before bed

I am sorta experimenting with EC, without taking max dose. For 2 weeks I was just taking 8mg in the morning of E and drinking my usual amount of coffee. These past couple days I have upped it to 24mg of E in the morning with my cup of coffee and that's it (I'll still drink coffee during the day but no more E). I find stimulant effect of coffee is tripled even when I was just taking 8mg of E... and I handle stimulants/coffee very well as I always have had a lot during the day.

* indicates only on work out days.
Unread 02-06-2014, 01:33 PM

Welcome, and nice cut! After seeing your starting photo, I think we share similar body types. Any idea what your BF% was at 228lbs? I'd say you look to be hovering very close to 10%, maybe even lower, right now. Great job, and looking forward to your UD2.0 results....

Oh and I was wondering, how tall are you?

My RFL Log
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=21716

My new "Flexible" Diet Log (9/8/13)
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=26761
Unread 02-06-2014, 03:54 PM

Thanks Bobby! No clue on my BF at 228lbs. However, I'd say I am higher than 10% now - likely 13%-15%. I think because of my height (6'3.75") fat distribution becomes a bit deceiving.

I still am holding low back/low ab/love handle and will just have to continue leaning out. I estimate a true 10% (where most of that low back/low ab/love handle is gone, and then stubborn fat is the issue) will be around 178lbs - 180lbs.

It's also a nice refresher to realize just how much potential in the years to come I have with LBM gain. I've been at bodybuilding for 4 years, but really only felt I got a grasp on what I was doing this past year. So, perhaps those years prior were spinning wheels. Either way - I look forward to the next gaining period because my long term goal is reaching some sort of genetic peak or limit.

Just finished 2nd depletion workout as well. Twas difficult but I remind myself how soon the refeed is. 25 mins of recumbent bicycle post workout, really was dogging it cuz I felt so bleh. Just had a Quest Bar and a 30g protein shake and now I am gonna go drum for a bit. Might have another coffee just to get the energy rolling to get 1hr-2hrs of practicing... and then it's a nice relaxing evening of either video games, movies or something equivalent to being a sedentary, weak, lethargic loaf of blubber

Cals and such thus far:
29.8/27/131 (F/C/P)

When I get home gonna roast up some boneless skinless chicken breasts (likely around 14-16oz.. haven't weighed it yet), likely have a salad with that and see where that puts me. Probably after that will have some fluff, egg white frittata or whatever I need to fill in the macros.
Unread 02-06-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDilemma View Post
Thanks Bobby! No clue on my BF at 228lbs. However, I'd say I am higher than 10% now - likely 13%-15%. I think because of my height (6'3.75") fat distribution becomes a bit deceiving.

I still am holding low back/low ab/love handle and will just have to continue leaning out. I estimate a true 10% (where most of that low back/low ab/love handle is gone, and then stubborn fat is the issue) will be around 178lbs - 180lbs.

It's also a nice refresher to realize just how much potential in the years to come I have with LBM gain. I've been at bodybuilding for 4 years, but really only felt I got a grasp on what I was doing this past year. So, perhaps those years prior were spinning wheels. Either way - I look forward to the next gaining period because my long term goal is reaching some sort of genetic peak or limit.
I appreciate your modesty (or dysmorphia? lol), but I think you're definitely below 13-15%. You have almost a full 6 pack, good vascularity and separation. I'm gonna say 13% at the high end, but more like 11-12 based on your comments. Nonetheless, you're definitiely good to go for UD2.0.
Regarding LBM, you seem to be at the higher end of muscular potential than most, so you'll look sick with a few more lbs and ripped.

I'm right behind you re UD2 most likely, although I'm gonna try the straight deficit with refeeds and some minor carb adjustments for a while first. UD2 when I have full visible abs!

Good luck....

My RFL Log
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=21716

My new "Flexible" Diet Log (9/8/13)
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=26761
Unread 02-06-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I appreciate your modesty (or dysmorphia? lol), but I think you're definitely below 13-15%.
Probably both, coupled with my own ignorance because I have never been this lean before.

Quote:
I'm right behind you re UD2 most likely, although I'm gonna try the straight deficit with refeeds and some minor carb adjustments for a while first. UD2 when I have full visible abs!
Well, if I understand you correctly, UD 2.0 makes the most sense only when hormones get in the way because of prolonged periods of dieting.

I otherwise would not be running something as intense as UD 2.0

I also have realized to not put myself in a position where I have to drop 40lbs of fat to get sub 14%. I'd rather my bodyfat set point be comfortable at 14% and if I have to drop down to 10% or 8% it be more of a breeze. My point of reference for this was that it was incredibly easy to drop the first 30lbs... like super easy. I had plenty of room with my calories (upwards of 400g of carbs most days), strength was maintained (and hit PRs), had enough energy to get through my days without bouts of inactivity due to feeling so weak, etc.

Now that I am encroaching on new territories in terms of leanness, I think it's really throwing my body in a loop because it is not used to it and really wants those 40lbs back. Because of this theory, I figure a cap of 14% and a range of 8% - 14% would be an exceptional range from here on in when I do bulk/cut cycles.

Furthermore, post reverse dieting, if I am eating similar macros to what I was eating when I was my biggest, it would be incredible to be starting a cut at 14% with maintenance cals of 4,500+ or so. When I had my bodybugg, I was consistently burning low 5000's, high 4000's and occasionally low-mid 6000's... talk about metabolic leeway!

But anyway, all of that is a long term manipulation of metabolism/bodyfat set point which will take months/years. I have realized it is best to think long term, especially if you are a drug free bodybuilder.

Last edited by GoldenDilemma : 02-06-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Unread 02-08-2014, 12:54 PM

Alright, gonna go do tension workout now - because of my schedule I do it early in the PM, do the rest of the day as per 75% of day 1-3 cals and then start the carb up guidelines by late evening. I am also doing a bit of LISS post workout as well (25 mins).

Just had this for breakfast:
http://imgur.com/QbgouRB

Total cal/mac:

40.1/13.1/106.7 (F/C/P)

No more fat for the day, likely gonna have an egg white frittata and protein shake to fill out remaining protein requirements.

As for my carbs tonight, I am just gonna have some gnocchi. Tomorrow I've got a big chocolate cake I made (without butter/oil or sugar... apple sauce and splenda as substitute.. for anyone who likes sweet stuff and bakes during their carb load, apple sauce substitute instead of oil works perfectly and results in the same moistness), roasted vegetable cheese/meat free pizza (I made the dough, under 5g fat, upwards of 1000 or so cals), lots of pancakes, more pancakes, and maybe some more pancakes as well.. We'll see! I save some of the stuff with trace amounts of fat, like Pop Tarts, for Day 6/7... I might have a whole pint of ice cream on Monday depending how I feel (total cals Mon will be around 2,400-2,500 for the day) - need to make some room in my freezer because chicken is on sale.

Oh, and this is what I was looking like yesterday. Looked a bit drier today but I didn't snap a pic. Notice the love handles, hence why I was suggesting 14%:

http://imgur.com/sLGmfyV&6SkTf2I#0

If I do a side shot (which I will include sometime), it becomes very apparent just how much fat I am holding in low back. Either it's "normal", or this is my trouble spot. Everyone on my maternal side holds fat the most (including women) in this spot - love handles, lower back, etc. And, I take more after my mother than father...? Largely irrelevant I guess - the take home point is to keep leaning out.

8 weeks on diet will have me wrapping up March 15th 2014, then I'll see where I am at and if I need to go further, proceed after a 2 week diet break.

Last edited by GoldenDilemma : 02-08-2014 at 12:58 PM.