BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-17-2014, 04:16 AM

Default Walker's Ledger - The Most Boring Log In The Biosphere

M / 28 / 183.5cm / 87.2kg

The Aim:

This is a simple fat loss log aimed to last no more than a week. I want to see how much fat I can drop in 5 days using a protocol mixing a lot of low intensity cardio with a moderate energy deficit. Yes, that's right: the action portion of this log is complete by end of Friday 21 March.

Current starting position is something like 13.8% body fat (I know, once you use decimal points it looks ridiculous but whatever). This is based on an interpretation of the Durnin Womersley formula; that 4-point caliper test gives me a total of 28.7mm.

The Protocol - Exercise:

I like walking... a lot. The exercise portion of this log will therefore be based around walking... a lot... on a treadmill. So low intensity cardio, with a minimum daily quota of 21km. Aside from this, I will try to be on my feet as much as possible.

Also, I'll be doing maintenance weightlifting work. About 1/3 what I'd usually do volume-wise, following the general maintenance guidelines.

The Protocol - Diet:

192g protein, 230g carbohydrate, 90g fat

A mixed diet of around 2500kcal. Won't bore you to hell with food choices.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The Expectations:

I expect about 25% lean mass loss and would be pleased with that as a result. In terms of total fat loss, I have no idea what's going to happen.

The Followup:

It is straight to maintenance after Friday. I will allow a few days for hydration status to return to normal levels once the program is over. I am not sure how many days to wait. Maybe three. At any rate, some time early next week I will do another caliper test and see what the results are.
Unread 03-17-2014, 11:52 PM

18/03/2014 - Day 2

Morning Weight: 86.4kg (-0.8kg from previous day and from baseline)

Drop in water mostly. But not a dramatic one. Nothing at all by comparison to the sort of shifts seen where carbs are very low.

Little else to say at this stage. I'll see how today pans.
Unread 03-19-2014, 12:25 AM

19/03/2014 - Day 3

Morning Weight: 85.9kg (-0.5kg from previous day and -1.3kg from baseline)

Everything followed strictly.
Unread 03-20-2014, 12:14 AM

20/03/2014 - Day 4

Morning Weight: 85.7kg (-0.2kg from previous day and -1.5kg from baseline)

And thus begins another day of this ridiculous program. It has frankly been a long time, well over a year, since I dieted properly. This only serves to remind me how tedious and antisocial strict dieting is. And helps me understand why people in general, obese OR in reasonable shape, have difficulty ever making any meaningful body composition changes. There's a real dogged determination needed in this game. Fanatical, almost. Anybody who has ever lost weight and kept it off, without being anorexic/bulimic, has simply managed to accomplish something that most people find impossible.

It's all mental. People go for years pretending, deceiving themselves, that they are dieting, whereas they're doing anything but. A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G but. And yet they believe, insist even, that they've been restricting calories. It's this proclivity for self-deception that enables the success of those writers attacking conventional dieting with their whacky theories.
Unread 03-20-2014, 04:48 PM

25% lean mass loss?! You mean as in, a fourth of however much you end up losing will have been muscle? Surely you can't lose that much from such a short stint given adequate protein and training stimulus.

Really cool idea though. I think 1-2 weeks is a very manageable chunk of time to diet, psychologically. Provided one keeps their diet in good check otherwise I can see this being a solid long-term recomp plan. Sadly that's a pretty big if.
Unread 03-21-2014, 12:00 AM

21/03/2014 - Day 5

Morning Weight: 85.4kg (-0.3kg from previous day and -1.8kg from baseline)

Pleased I'm on the final day of this, more than any other reason just to go back to normal eating. I'm also curious to see what sort of weight I end up with post-refeeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbells
25% lean mass loss?! You mean as in, a fourth of however much you end up losing will have been muscle? Surely you can't lose that much from such a short stint given adequate protein and training stimulus.
I was going by Casey Butt's "rule of thumb" that the typical nattie loses 1lb LBM for every 3lbs fat lost. But as you imply, it is likely this sort of result applies more to those on longer term diets with greater total weight loss. Maybe I should expect something more like 15%? Ideally, I end up with no LBM loss at all .

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbells
I think 1-2 weeks is a very manageable chunk of time to diet, psychologically. Provided one keeps their diet in good check
Ya, the inflexibility of many plans (including this one) is potentially a real problem. You literally gotta turn yourself into some sort of machine. Like you're in military camp or something, where everybody eats the same thing, does their drills at the same time, sleeps the same time etc., and you're prisoner to that system. Except that here you become prisoner to your own system. Trapping yourself or pretending you're trapped when in reality you're not - it's a strange thing. I guess it's a metaphor for many things in life.
Unread 03-21-2014, 02:28 AM

This is why I've always thought dieting with a roommate or SO or something would be ideal, misery loves company, but it goes beyond that when it becomes standard operating procedure in day-today life and you're not just make self-sacrifices, but just going along with the system at play.
Unread 03-22-2014, 01:15 AM

22/03/2014 - Day 6

Morning Weight: 84.7kg (-0.7kg from previous day and -2.5kg from baseline)

And thus, after the final day yesterday, the dietary/training program comes to an end. Today I woke up with the weight stated above. The loss from previous day was an unexpectedly big drop (compared to days 3, 4 & 5), and was a similar drop to that experienced at the outset. Though not at all sure why. Perhaps the whole water retention thingee.

My overall thoughts: the program is ridiculous in that the extreme time commitment to formal very low intensity cardio is, no doubt, considered intolerable by most (4 hours anybody?). But at least from a pure weight loss standpoint, it was clearly effective. Body composition changes are yet to be tested, but I might have wiped a whole kilo of fat here. And that while on an extremely bland but tolerable mixed macro diet of 2500kcal a day.

Specifics: despite not being on low carbs (230g or 37% of total energy), I think the water loss must somehow have turned out similar. I am very depleted. Why would the water loss be similar? I'm puzzled over this. Cardio was really low intensity (mostly 1-2 RPE with very short intermittent bouts of 3-4 RPE ala Fartlek) to the extreme, weight training was abbreviated, I did nothing specific to deplete glycogen stores. All I did was to simply be in a quite substantial caloric deficit. I was depleted even by Wednesday. As hell. It was noticed immediately by those who know me.

Next step: the dietary/cardio phase of this is over. What remains is repleting and re-hydration, and gathering a result on the fat loss. The former will be hopefully accomplished today with a workout/carb-up combination. The latter, well, I'll get that sorted by Tuesday hopefully.

In the meantime, I'll keep posting daily updates on what's happening with the body weight.

Carb-up is going to follow flex dieting guidelines, so about 900-1000g carbs or something, same protein intake I been doing this week, very low fats, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah_k
This is why I've always thought dieting with a roommate or SO or something would be ideal, misery loves company, but it goes beyond that when it becomes standard operating procedure in day-today life and you're not just make self-sacrifices, but just going along with the system at play.
Totally agree. On the fitness-fanatic roommate front, that sort of thing helps enormously and I kinda miss those days. But besides dieting, it was particularly good for weight training. The constant competition and one-upmanship really makes you push yourself like crazy.

In terms of becoming one with a system... There really is a real solitude/isolation to these sorts of programs. You live part of your life in a virtual alien world, where your conduct is akin to a secret or foreign language that makes no sense to anybody aside from the initiated. Even PTs at the local gym were confused at my repeat appearances: "did you train 5 times yesterday?", "you're gonna go totally catabolic if you don't watch out mate"... Bro, chill, I'm just having a stroll and reading a book.
Unread 03-23-2014, 01:14 AM

23/03/2014 - Day 7

Morning Weight: 86.0kg (+1.3kg from previous day and -1.2kg from baseline)

So yesterday was the refeed thingee. Firstly there was a fasted caffeine-fueled 1 and three quarter hour weights workout. High reps and short rests throughout, and it was one of the most miserable (non-tragic) experiences I've ever had. Then came the carb-up...

...And on this occasion, it was perhaps more miserable than the workout. I haven't done anything like it in something over a year, and among the food selection I made one pretty damn dreadful choice: 1kg of spaghetti, dry weight. Yeah. 3500 calories just from spaghetti. By the time I was done I realized that I was, as relatives had remarked, a few screws loose... (and that wasn't all).

I'd like to say that I woke up and saw Arnie in the mirror, and I did, in that the reflection includes the large Kindergarten Cop poster blu-tacked to the opposing wall. As for me, depleted look was gone, which was sorta the entire point.

And now I just have a regular maintenance sorta day, for the next few days too.
Unread 03-24-2014, 12:28 AM

24/03/2014 - Day 8

Morning Weight: 84.8kg (-1.2kg from previous day and -2.4kg from baseline)

Very limited activity yesterday compared to general. And given activity level I don't think calories were dramatically low, I think between 2500-3000kcal. I am not sure then what the reason for the massive water swing was. But weight seems to be back near what it was on Saturday morning (Day 6). I can only assume that re-hydration is still far from complete, because that is still way too high of a total weight loss. I'll see where I am tomorrow. Today is going to be roughly maintenance.