BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-06-2015, 09:30 AM

Default 37/F/5'7"/Cat 2 - First Round of RFL

Today's actually my first *day* on RFL.

What led me here?

Many things but mostly a rapid weight GAIN when I was prescribed antidepressants/anti-anxiety meds after undergoing a very traumatic time in my life. I made it 37 years without any big life challenges and then wham ... last December things went very, very south. I started on the meds in May and by July had gone up from 146 to 178.

The meds were making me into a zombie who didn't feel and who didn't get off the couch. I quit them (under the guidance of my doctor; withdrawal was hard). After stepping on the scale in July I cried ... and then completely cut back on portions. I didn't calorie count or exercise but I quickly lost about 8 pounds and went down to 170.

Then I joined a gym and started working out almost 5 times a week, and hard. A combination of HIIT and lifting classes. While I've gotten stronger, I've basically been stalled between 164 and 168 for the past 6 weeks and I'm tired of it. I start off every day hoping to cut calories but by the end of the day I'm famished and I end up overeating. I also end up having 2 big glasses of red wine most nights because while exercising has helped, the anxiety and insomnia haven't gone away. I know this isn't healthy and it certainly hasn't helped with my weight loss.

TLDR: I'm excited to do RFL. I have two special events this week (one social event Thursday and one wedding on Sunday) but I'm going to try and use Sunday as my free meal and Thursday I'll try and stick to it but will have a few carb-free drinks. As much as I like the gym, and my friends at the gym, I'm going to cut out HIIT and stick to lifting 3x a week during this process.

I'm not sure how long I'll do round 1 for -- I'll think about my timing for holidays as my travel for that period becomes clearer.

Stats: Female, 39, 5'7
2018 Starting weight: 162.5
Ultimate goal: 125
Unread 10-06-2015, 07:03 PM

Default Day 1 Complete

I'm in bed with a slight headache. Today was a stressful day but it's done and I met the goals I had.

136 grams protein; 18 grams of fat; 8 grams of carbs; 796 calories.

What I ate: 18 ounces of pink salmon canned in water; 2 cucumbers; 9 ounces of organic herbed turkey breast.

A little worried about the turkey breast as it was deli-style so had tons of sodium -- guessing I could be retaining some water from that but as the day is so low carb maybe that's impossible.

My only regret is I didn't weigh myself this morning so I'm not sure what my true starting weight is though on Monday AM I was 168.

I have a heavy lifting class in the AM and am also wishing that I bought some glucose pills as I have blood sugar issues (was diabetic when pregnant) but don't want to eat beforehand. They do seem convenient and one tablet is only 20 calories, and recommended by Lyle for athletes doing heavy workouts. I'm sure I'll be fine but I am curious about them.

Also I decided I'd do this round for 4 weeks and take 2 weeks off and see how I'm feeling.

Last edited by yupisaidit : 10-06-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Unread 10-07-2015, 05:23 AM

Default Day 2

7:20am

Woke up feeling good. I had a very solid night's sleep. I swear if the boredom of not being able to eat or drink at night leads me to going to bed earlier for a month, that alone could make this worth it! (As a mother of a toddler, I never feel consistently well rested.)

Also, I'm not hungry -- but I never am when I first wake up. I'm a morning coffee addict and drink it black, so I have that going for me

Scale this morning said 166.5. I'm assuming I started at 167 so that's a trend in the right direction.

Have a heavy lifting class and then one issue -- I have a grocery delivery coming this evening with all my RFL friendly foods but until then, my cupboard is bare (in terms of appropriate eats). I'm also going to be bouncing around the city all day for work so I'm not sure what/where I'm going to eat until this afternoon. Should have planned Day 2 better.

Unread 10-07-2015, 12:18 PM

Default Day 2 -- Afternoon

(Funny, I don't see an edit button by my morning's post and I was going to update there throughout the day. I did read the FAQ.)

So this morning went well -- ended up passing by a pharmacy so grabbed some glucose pills before my heavy lifting class. One tablet is 15 calories and I took 2. I felt awesome during my class and really pushed myself. Squats, pushups, kettle bell, weighted lunges, medicine ball and a tiny bit of rowing (like less than 5 minutes).

There was no way to get to lunch on time and I felt like I was going to pass out after being up for 7 hours and only having 30 calories so I ended up taking 2 more. I've mentioned that I had gestational diabetes before and I wouldn't be surprised if I still have blood sugar issues now that I've gained such a tremendous amount of weight (as is usually the case, my blood sugar issues disappeared the moment I gave birth and luckily I went back to my pre-baby weight, which was on the thinner side, pretty easily). I'll plan ahead next time because this has bumped me up to 16 sugar carbs for the day. First 8 were fine because they got me through a hardcore class but the next 8 grams of carbs/sugar were not necessary.

With that said, the glucose tablets kept me till 1 when I managed to have a salad grabbed from a place called Sweetgreen, which is a small chain on the East Coast and does an awesome job of providing nutritional content for its menu items. I custom made my salad and it was all veggies plus shrimp, lime juice and a dab of hot sauce.

Total calories so far for the day are 290, including the glucose tablets. I'm only at 32 grams of protein so am going to try and rectify that ASAP. Definitely feeling kinda grumpy and hungry right now -- not surprising since it's almost 2:30pm EST.

Unread 10-07-2015, 08:25 PM

Default Day 2 - End of Day

Made it through today and ate much more vegetables than normal, hence a much higher carb count than yesterday (also contributing were the glucose tablets I took).

869 calories: 11 grams fat; 29 grams carbs; 135 grams protein.

Dinner was a stir fry of purple cabbage, shredded brussels sprouts, fresh diced pepper mix, topped off with some fat free sour cream (1 tablespoon) and fat free cheddar cheese (1/8th a cup). I'll cop to using 1 teaspoon of MCT oil in my stir fry, so I had that as additional fat though I didn't take my fish oil pills with dinner. I realized I didn't hit my protein goals after that and had second course of grilled chicken, though interestingly I actually wasn't hungry.

I'm going to try and make sure I have my meals planned out tomorrow and that I eat more towards the beginning of the day. I also don't have any workouts planned so I should be good.

Based on how I'm feeling tonight (rested, not hungry, no headache) I think I can stick with this.

Unread 10-08-2015, 06:49 AM

Default Day 3

8:33am

Scale: 165

Psyched about this number, though I realize some of it is likely water weight. I don't care; I've only been here or at 164.5 a few times since my rapid weight gain ended in July.

I realized upon reading the FAQ for RFL (which I hadn't read after finishing the e-book) was that I may have "abused" carb-y vegetables a bit yesterday. Although they were non-starchy, they were things like peppers, brussels sprouts and purple cabbage. I had a bunch at lunch and perhaps more than I should have at dinner, and they definitely added up when I look back at my macros. Will try and stick with things like zucchini and cucumbers for the most part today while still incorporating smaller amounts of some of the other vegetables I got yesterday.

On that note, really looking forward to today considering my fridge is packed with lots of good stuff for the diet today -- fresh halibut, lean pork chops, grilled chicken breast, fat free sour cream and fat free cheese.

My only challenges are I'm going out to dinner and drinks tonight. I thought I'd save my cheat meal for a wedding I'm going to on Sunday night but now I'm wondering if I should use that as my carb refeed and tonight as my cheat meal. Need to read up on the carb refeed to figure out which makes sense.

Unread 10-09-2015, 06:19 AM

Default Day 4

8:12am

Scale: 162.5

Even though I know the weight I've lost in the past 3 days is mostly water weight I'm still stunned at how the scale is going down.

Yesterday went well. Since I had dinner and drinks out, I'm not sure what my macros were for the overall day but here's the data I have up till dinner.

503 calories: 86 grams of proteins; 12 grams of carbs and 6 grams of fat (not counting fish oil).

I ate an egg white omelette with scant vegetables and some fat free cheese, followed by a kind of boring salad at lunch with kale and grilled chicken and lemon juice.

I think I kept my cheat meal pretty reasonable: a good amount of sweet and spicy eggplant alongside a small amounts of noodles, steamed salmon and a (very) tiny portion of an egg roll. If anything I overindulged on the drinks. Had 2 glass of wine with dinner, then we went out to a bar together and I had 2 drinks there (though kept them low calorie/low carb). They were all consumed over the course of 4 hours but I didn't hydrate enough and man, with eating less, the drinks REALLY impact you. I'll admit to having a slight headache today. On the other hand, the alcohol is probably contributing to my "woosh" today. I think Lyle noted that drinking especially affects women this way. I wonder if the number on the scale will bounce back up tomorrow.

I'm a little stumped on how I'll handle my refeed this week. The wedding we have on Sunday didn't give any details on the menu, so I have no idea if I could kind of keep it carb heavy that night and low fat. Maybe I need to just say it's a wedding, we don't have any other special events planned for the rest of the month and just have my refeed the morning after (I'm thinking bagels and lox).

I have to say -- it'd be amazing to be at 159 for the wedding on Sunday. I highly doubt this will happen but psychologically it'd give me a real boost. We're seeing friends who know me as someone who always hovered between 138 and 146 and they haven't seen me since my issues began and I gained the weight on Zoloft. Showing up 25+ pounds heavier than "normal" is not something I'm looking forward to. Numbers-wise, 159 just puts me in such a different headspace.

Otherwise, my plan for the rest of the day is to stick to the diet but take 2 glucose tablets before my heavy lifting class. Still sore from the one on Wednesday ....

Last edited by yupisaidit : 10-09-2015 at 06:27 AM.
Unread 10-09-2015, 07:19 PM

Default Day 4 - End of Day

Good day today. Great lifting class -- really hard and I pushed myself more than I can remember ever doing before. It was a fasted workout save for the 2 glucose tablets I took beforehand.

I made sure to eat 6 oz of grilled chicken breast right after. Had some roasted halibut and peppers for lunch, 3 oz of grilled chicken breast for a snack, and then some roast pork loan (.3 lb) for dinner with veggies.

My only divergence from the plan was indulging in 2 glasses of very dry red wine with my husband. Not getting down on myself about that. He brought home a really nice bottle and although I know alcohol isn't part of RFL I'm just rolling with it. Bumped up my calories for the day though and gave me 6 extra carbs.

1,050 calories: 139 grams protein; 34 grams carbs; 16 grams fat.

Took some magnesium before bed and feeling good. Thinking the scale will be up tomorrow however.

Unread 10-10-2015, 05:04 AM

Default Day 5 - Morning

Scale: 162

Nice. Scale is down another .5 lb.

Today's my first weekend day on RFL. Between family and social commitments, this will prove interesting. If I were single, I'd lock myself down for the day and catch up on reading, movies, chores. But we're going to be out and about. I guess I'll bring my grilled chicken along with me.

On that note, I forgot to mention that I ate my grilled chicken in a bathroom stall at the gym yesterday. That felt mildly dysfunctional (though it was clean, a super large handicap stall, I went nowhere near the toiled and I didn't touch anything but the chicken) but necessary. I wasn't going to be anywhere that I could eat in public and I knew if I didn't eat after my workout I'd be super hungry later and make bad choices.

So there you have it. "Eating in the bathroom." (Sung in the style of Motley Crue.)

Unread 10-10-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupisaidit View Post
On that note, I forgot to mention that I ate my grilled chicken in a bathroom stall at the gym yesterday.
That's disgusting. Yuck!