BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-13-2008, 05:00 PM

Default Melz progress (PSMF & TKD)

Okay, why not: I'm Mel, at last count a 49-year-old female in Alaska, insulin resistant, prediabetic. In PSMF terms, I'm a category 3 dieter -- i.e., I've got a high body fat %, though it's kinda hard to get an accurate fix on it. Let's say about 40%. That's gotta be less than what it was a few months ago: I've lost in the area of 20 lbs. since February 18 through tightening up my eating habits & getting lots more exercise.

Edited to add: Oh yeah. I'm 5 ft. 2-1/4 inches. I started on Feb. 18 at about 210 lbs., probably about 42-45% bodyfat, traditional "apple-shape" bodyfat typically indicative of insulin resistance. As of May 2, when I ran across these books/this site, I had gotten to about 194 lbs. As of this morning, having had a free meal last night, I was at 188.8 lbs. Of course, scale weight isn't everything. I've also tightened my belt a few notches, with maybe 2 to 3 inches lost around my waist at bellybutton level. Goal is in the area of 140-150 lbs. at about 20-24% bodyfat (in the women's health range), will reevaluate when I get closer to that.

I first overhauled my diet two years ago, moving from my traditional vending machine diet to a moderate carb, low glycemic diet with all the refined carbs-in-a-box-or-bag thrown completely out of my diet, while emphasizing the standard good stuff like non-starchy veggies, healthy fats, & good quality proteins. This has helped to keep my blood sugars in better line, along with my overall health & moods, but I've still got some significant body fat to dispose of, & would like even better blood sugar control. Because I'm prediabetic, hence at risk for Type 2 (my mother died of complications of Type 2 in Nov. 2005, which was my wake-up call), I read a lot about diabetes & insulin resistance, esp. in relation to nutrition & exercise.

Two years ago I was quite wary of low-carb diets, having been infected by a lot of the mythology out in mass media culture about low-carb in general & ketosis in particular. But over time, esp. under the influence of Type 2s of my acquaintance who report good results with low carb, not to mention the excellent record of Dr. Richard K. Bernstein <http://www.diabetes-book.com/> in treating both Type 1 & Type 2 diabetics with a low-carb diet, I've gradually come to feeling that low-carb even to the point of ketosis might have great benefit for me, at least for a time. To that end, Friday before last I looked up ketosis at Amazon.com, which let me to The Ketogenic Diet & to this website. And also to the Rapid Fat Loss Handbook.

So now I have both, have read both, & am implementing the info contained in both. Details to follow.

-- Mel

Last edited by yksin : 05-15-2008 at 04:12 PM. Reason: date correction
Unread 05-13-2008, 05:39 PM

Default Progress so far, & basic plan

As already noted, I "discovered" The Ketogenic Diet & the Rapid Fat Loss Handbook the Friday before last. Bought both of them right away, though it took a few days for the ketosis book to arrive; Rapid Fat Loss I bought in its downloadable version, & read pretty immediately. Despite my misgivings about crash diets (because face it, most of them suck), this version of a PSMF makes complete & utter sense to me.

I began to implement parts of it pretty immediately, mainly cutting calories & carbs & making sure my protein intake was adequate. In the first few days, however, I continued to eat a higher level of fats (nuts, seeds, etc.) than needed for strict adherence. I would say I started this then on about Saturday, May 3. I initially wanted to take a week to use some of the perishable carbs in my house (a quart carton of milk & a few apples), but turns out I just mainly was using up some of the perishable fats packaged in with some of my existing protein sources (eggs, salmon, bison burgers); meantime supplying myself with a lot of good lean proteins, which a trip to Costco the following Tuesday did for me.

More strict adherence to PSMF began this past Saturday, May 10. Because of how I'd been eating the week before, this mainly just meant that most of my dietary fats went by the wayside, just leaving in the 10g/day of fish oil; those dietary fats also contributed to a higher caloric intake last week than this week, but I began to experience the weight loss (probably mostly water loss) that comes with the early stages of a ketogenic diet pretty immediately.

Note that this is the first time I've gone on a ketogenic diet -- unless somehow I did it when I was 13 when I was forced onto the first version of Atkins against my will, & cheated constantly because I hated it. Okay, so we'll say, "the first time willingly, & with full knowledge of what I'm doing & why" (in no small part because of how thoroughly researched & written The Ketogenic Diet is). I'm enough of a geek that watching the process in myself is pretty fascinating. I tend to weigh myself several times every day, because it's fun to see how quickly it comes off (even if at the moment most of it's water) & how it fluctuates during the day.

Although as a category 3 dieter, I can expect to safely be able to be on the PSMF diet for as long as 12 weeks, right now I'm expecting to stay on it only for a total of two weeks (through May 23) for two reasons:

(1) I'll be on a 10-day traveling vacation beginning the evening of May 23, & want to be able to relax my diet a bit more. However, I intend to continue to limit my carbs so as to stay in ketosis during that time, so mainly I'll just be increasing my calories with dietary fats -- more or less following a standard ketogenic diet (SKD) during that time.

(2) I want to be able to do some high intensity exercise while dieting, so after my vacation I'll likely be transitioning to a higher calorie targeted ketogenic diet (TKD), as described in The Ketogenic Diet. I'm picking TKD over CKD (cyclical ketogenic diet) because of my insulin resistance -- it'll be easier to keep my blood sugars in control on the TKD. (Again, thanks to Lyle for the invaluable research in The Ketogenic Diet, which helped me to make this informed choice.)

Though naturally I reserve the right to return to the PSMF whenever I feel it will benefit my overall progress & goals.

I plan to maintain a ketogenic diet at least until I've achieved a more healthy level of body fat %, in the range of 18 to 25 percentage (as recommended for women). Somewhere in there, I'll transition to a moderate-carb diet like what I was eating up until a week & a half ago -- a gradual transition, since there (per The Ketogenic Diet) there are implications for insulin resistance with the reintroduction of carbs.

Then I'll reevaluate to decide exactly what to do next. With loss of body fat, I should probably (after return to a moderate-carb diet) experience an increase in insulin sensitivity, so I'll certainly be looking at that -- both through use of my glucometer, & checks on blood work with my medical provider.

Once at better body fat % also, I'll want to focus on building up more muscle, which is another good reason to transition then to a moderate-carb diet (more anabolic). I don't intend to become a bodybuilder, but after having spent my whole life since birth as overweight (I was a gestational diabetes baby, born at 11 lbs. 12-1/4 oz.), I look forward to the reality of being healthily lean, including good muscular development, for the first time in my life.

Should be fun.

-- Mel
Unread 05-13-2008, 06:24 PM

Good luck with your goals!!
Unread 05-15-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runmlz View Post
Good luck with your goals!!
Thanks!
Unread 05-15-2008, 06:28 PM

Default May 2-15

I thought it'd be good to start out my actual progress reports with a summary of the past two weeks. I like the way Dane has kept a running track of weight on the PSMF, so I'm also going to do something like that. It helps me to keep track of days of the week too, but I'll use abbreviations (T=Tuesday, R=Thursday, Sa=Saturday, Su=Sunday; others self-explanatory.)

My starting weight overall was about 210 lbs. on February 18. For the purposes of PSMF & a ketogenic dieting, my starting weight is 194.4. I weigh in the morning after bathroom but prior to eating. I don't take the weight over-seriously -- I know a lot of my initial weight loss in ketosis is from water, & I evaluate progress in other ways too. But I've gotta say, it's fun to watch the way the scale moves.

Weight

First week
(For the first week I didn't follow a strict PSMF, but did lower calories & nearly eliminated carbs.)

F 5/2 - 194.4
Sa 5/3 - (didn't weigh)
Su 5/4 - 194.0
M 5/5 - 193.4
T 5/6 - 191.4
W 5/7 - 190.4
R 5/8 - 191.0
F 5/9 - 190.6 (free meal)

It was interesting from the start to watch my scale weight to go down incrementally every day, & sometimes even within a day. The slight rise on 5/8 is probably due to having eaten a restaurant salad including crutons. I also ate a pretty large meal on 5/9, but it was relatively carb-free & didn't result in scale weight gain.

Second week (still in progress)
Now I am strictly trying to follow PSMF.

Sa 5/10 - 189.6
Su 5/11 - 189.2
M 5/12 - 187.4 (free meal)
T 5/13 - 188.8
W 5/14 - 188.0
R 5/15 - 187.0 (free meal scheduled tonight)

My free meal on Monday was a couple of bison burgers complete with a whole grain bakery bread that my friend brought over. It was very tasty, & very nice also just to eat a free meal. But while good as breads go, I think it was a bit too high of a carb load for me at this point -- more than I'd usually eat in one meal even before starting to go low-carb. I even had a bit of acid that night which distrurbed my sleep -- always a sign for me of overconsumption of starchy carbs. That's something to keep in mind for future free meals.

Meals

I'm not always great about writing down meals, but I'm starting again because I know it's helpful. Right now I just have yesterday & today recorded (including my projected meal tonight). And true to such exercises, I'm learning a few things about "what I'm doing wrong" so that I can fix 'em.

Since Jan 2006 when I first overhauled my diet because of my insulin resistance, I've mostly eaten five small meals per day, as this helps to keep blood glucose more level. (I also ate moderate instead of high carbs, & chose them from the low end of the Glycemic Index.) Now, with much lower carbs, that's not quite so much a concern, & I feel more comfortable right now with four meals/day.

Fish oil is there as part of each meal, even though I'm not writing it down here.

Wed, 5/14
Meal 1: Meal replacement drink (emphasis on whey protein) with added psyllium husk & blueberries
Meal 2: Tilapia fish with collard greens, onion, garlic
Meal 3: Tilapia fish with collard greens, onion, garlic
Meal 4: Grilled chicken breast with kale, red cabbage, onion, garlic. 4 radishes, half a green pepper.

Total nutrients (est.):
1076 cal / CHO 52g / Pr 143g / Fat 35g

Correction: Actually 1017 calories, 33g carbs [net] -- I had a brainfart & wrote down the total including fiber.

Thu, 5/15
Meal 1: Meal replacement drink (emphasis on whey protein) with added psyllium husk & blueberries
Meal 2: Salmon burger with french beans, onion, portabello mushroom.
Meal 3: Salmon burger with french beans, onion, portabello mushroom. 4 radishes, half a green pepper.
Meal 4 (free meal): Denny's Garden Deluxe Salad w/ chicken breast (unless I change my mind; see below)

Total nutrients (est.):
1272 cal / CHO 56g / Pr 136g / Fat 53g

Correction: Actually 1152 cal, 34g carbs [net] -- same brainfart, my original figure included noncaloric fiber. But see next post, since I change my last two meals anyway.

Obviously some issues here in terms of a strict PSMF diet: too many carbs [edit: though not as bad when I'm not counting fiber as part of my net carbs], too much fat. Protein's a little high -- normally for this diet I should be eating about 120g, but I'm not sweating it too much based on the older recommendations in The Ketogenic Diet for even smaller people to eat a minimum of 150g for the first three weeks of a ketogenic diet. However, my carb intake seems to be offsetting any possible need for that higher level to begin with.

With the focus I've had for the past two years on moderate & low GI carbs, I think I'm pretty good nowadays at picking out the right kinds of carbs -- but, some of them are still a little high from an ultra-low carb perspective, as demanded for early ketogenic diets & PSMF. For example, even some of the very low-carb veggies like kale & red cabbage have a tad more carbs than some others, like collards, & they can add up. I need to have at least some volume of nonstarchy carbs to keep myself from too much boredom, but tiny amounts can add up a lot faster than I realize if I use enough of them. However, really, the biggest carb meals at 11 to 12g of carbs are the meal replacement drinks in the morning -- actually, mostly I'm mixing up half a serving of a full meal replacement drink that contain a small amount of carbs & medium-chain fatty acids (SlimStyles from Natural Factors) along with whey protein with a couple of scoops of whey protein from other sources (Biochem Sports Greens & Whey or Whey Factors strawberry), plus four tablespoons of wild blueberries. Easy to adjust by forgoing the SlimFast portion for the time being, & possibly lowering the blueberries.

The fats are kinda the same -- incremental additions of dietary fat from sources that don't really hold that much fat. Today's something of an exception: I know salmon & salmon burgers contain a fair bit of fat (these are the Trident salmon burgers made with wild Alaska salmon that you can buy at Costco -- 22g protein/9g fat per burger). They're a great protein source for low-carb, but not necessarily for PSMF, except to the extent that their fats include omega-3s. Today I had them because my alarm clock malfunctioned, & didn't leave me with enough time to prepare what I otherwise would have prepared.

But -- I'm not gonna sweat this overmuch. Extra dietary fat above the 10g of omega 3s called for in the book mainly just means that I've got a bit more dietary fat to burn off along with stuff in my adipose tissues; bits more of carb will also have some effect, but at these levels probably not enough to send me completely out of ketosis. I'll just tighten down, is all. And even with these slightly higher-than-PSMF levels, I'm making progress, both according to the scale & according to how many notches I can tighten my belt now.

Nice that one of the online nutrition databases has info about foods at Denny's. Not my favorite choice for restaurants, but there's a monthly shindig there every third Thursday of the month (which is tonight), & they have at least one meal I can deal with these days, their salad with grilled chicken. Quite a different in carb & calorie levels with the same salad using fried chicken -- that breading really adds up).

.... Still, kind of a drag to use up a free meal on it -- maybe I'll change my mind & have a can of tuna before heading to Denny's, & save my free meal for tomorrow to enjoy with an episode of Battlestar Galactica! Last week I had three eggs scrambled with chicken breast meat, onion, spinach, tomato, crimini mushrooms, raw cheddar cheese. Higher fat, but very low carb. Which I think is what I usually want to do for a free meal, at least during these my "ketogenic" days.

Exercise

Mostly for the past couple weeks I've been doing a fair amount of walking. Also some rowing (I've got a Concept 2 Model D rower), though at a far lower level than prior to starting PSMF. I've got my bedroom slash gym set up now with weight bench & dumbbells & am about to start on a regular program of dumbbell workouts. I had been using Craig Ballantyne's Turbulence Training program, but those workouts are pretty intense, & not supported by this diet. I'll return to TT when I switch over to a targeted ketogenic diet when I return from my trip to Seattle early next month. I obviously can't lug my Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells with me on my trip, but I have no choice but to lug my bodyweight along, so I'll focus on bodyweight exercises during that time. (And a fair amount of walking too, esp. since I won't have a car during most of the trip.)

My energy levels for exercise were a little low last week, but this week no problems. Yesterday I was able to accomplish a pretty vigorous 15-minute row (3K meters, which is pretty good for me) without any problems, & also had a nice brisk hour-long lunchtime walk around the lake near my workplace (a college campus). Some of this may be due to the slightly higher levels of carbs that I'm eating compared with what I thought I was eating, not to mention the (for me) very high carb free meal on Monday night -- but I think I'm probably also successfully adapting to burning fat for energy more efficiently.

Overall, I'm finding this diet very easy to follow. I haven't experienced any of the brain fogginess that some people report when first going on ketogenic diets, perhaps because I'd already acclimated myself somewhat by eating low-glycemically & moderate carb for a couple of years. I also haven't had many issues with hunger pangs, & it's dead easy to ignore those boxes full of refined-carbs-in-a-bag (potato, tortilla, & corn chips) left over from the student appreciation shindig my department sponsored a couple of weeks ago. My blood sugars seem to be doing okay too -- fasting b.g. is consistently less than 100 mg/dL, sometimes even < 90.

What I need to fix:
* lower the carbs a bit, especially by adjusting the components of my morning meal replacement drink;
* lower the dietary fats to recommended PSMF levels
* get started on & adhere to a regular schedule of dumbbell & bodyweight workouts.

Hopefully later updates won't be quite so huge, but hopefully they won't all be trying to cram two weeks into one post.

Critiques/comments/suggestions more than welcome. (I'm a big girl now & promise not to get my panties in a twist!)

-- Mel

Last edited by yksin : 06-07-2008 at 02:31 PM. Reason: typo
Unread 05-16-2008, 02:29 AM

Default Revision

Quote:
Originally Posted by yksin View Post
.... Still, kind of a drag to use up a free meal on it -- maybe I'll change my mind & have a can of tuna before heading to Denny's, & save my free meal for tomorrow to enjoy with an episode of Battlestar Galactica!
In fact I did change my mind, had a very basic protein drink instead & at Denny's just had coffee. Also didn't have the radishes & green pepper listed for meal 3. Actual intake today then:

Thu, 5/15
Meal 2: Salmon burger with french beans, onion, portabello mushroom.
Meal 3: Salmon burger with french beans, onion, portabello mushroom.
Meal 4: Two scoops protein drink, cup of coffee.

Total nutrients (est.):
975 cal / CHO 27g / Pr 119g / Fat 44g

Most importantly, based on what I learned from that two days of food journaling, I've got true PSMF meals set for tomorrow. For meal 1, a tightened down protein drink (not real food of course, but helpful in the morning in terms of my normal rush out of the house), & meals 2 & 3 both very low carb/low fat (chicken, tuna, broccoli, collard greens). I'm still going to indulge in a free meal for the evening, but "free" only in the sense that it'll be higher in dietary fat than usual, which brings up its calories -- but I'm gonna keep the carbs very low too, by using mustard greens or somesuch as my veggies. Not sure yet what dinner will be, but likely including eggs.

-- Mel

Last edited by yksin : 05-16-2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: actual intake for revised meal
Unread 05-17-2008, 03:25 AM

Default Friday, May 16

Weight

Second week
Now I am strictly trying to follow PSMF.

Sa 5/10 - 189.6
Su 5/11 - 189.2
T 5/13 - 188.8
W 5/14 - 188.0
R 5/15 - 187.0
F 5/16 - 186.6 (free meal)

Meals

Fri, 5/16
Meal 1: Protein drink with psyllium husk
Meal 2: Tuna & grilled chicken w/ collard greens & broccoli
Meal 3: Tuna & grilled chicken w/ collard greens & broccoli
Preworkout: Two pieced sprouted grain bread, butter
Meal 4 (free meal): 6 oz. bison steak, 4 eggs, 1 slice cheese, half an onion, portabello mushroom, 2 c spinach, oils for cooking, 6 oz. wine

Total nutrients (est.):
621 cal / CHO 11g / Pr 106 / Fat 17g (first three meals)
1712 cal / CHO 41g / Pr 196g / Fat 85g (day total)

With the first three meals, I seem to be on the track now of how to keep pretty well within PSMF guidelines. It was a free meal day, though, & I took full advantage, this time by eating lots of food from protein & healthy fats with very little carb. I got pretty full! But the preworkout meal, which was kind of an experiment, came out with mixed results.

Preworkout nutrition experiment

I had decided to try out a more intense workout this evening than usual, following the stuff I learned from the chapter on targeted ketogenic diets (TKD) in The Ketogenic Diet book. Basically, what I understand is:

1. A TKD is just a standard ketogenic diet except with carb intake around exercise, in such a way as to not interrupt ketosis except transiently.

2. A PSFM is just a specialized, low calorie form of ketogenic diet.

3. The prime reason for pre-workout carbs is to help set you up for post-workout glycogen synthesis to set you up for the next workout. Secondarily to perform better on this workout.

4. For most people, what works best is 25-50g of pre-workout carbs about a half hour before the workout. The type isn't critical, but a lot of people seem to find what works best for them is fast-acting, high-glycemic carbs.

5. People with insulin resistance (like me) might have more issues with post-workout insulin levels than others, so might want to start on the lower end of pre-workout carb intake. However, exercise generally increases insulin sensitivity, so it's usually not much of an issue even for most insulin resistant people.

6. Post-workout carbs (25-50g) might also be taken to assist in recovery, but in that case care should be taken not to take them in the form of fructose (fruit sugar) or sucrose (which contains both glucose & fructose) because fructose will refill liver glycogen & so interrupt ketosis. (Glucose doesn't have to be processed by the liver, & will be used for muscle glycogen before liver glycogen.)

I took what I thought was a conservative approach, because (1) it was my first time trying it; (2) though I've done a lot of exercising since Feb. 18, I'm not exactly a highly-trained athlete; & (3) I didn't want to overreach myself given the low calorie levels on the PSMF. Also, I'm insulin resistant (prediabetic), & use a glucometer enough to have a sense of how many starchy carbs I can deal with before my blood sugars go too high. However, I forgot one thing from The Ketogenic Diet which might have had an effect on what happened, which was:

7. After some time without many carbs, enzymes associated with carb burning are downregulated, & they take a few hours to wake up when carbs are eaten again -- five hours in the liver, 24-48 hours in the muscles. Because of this delay in upregulating these enzymes, a lot of people experience blood sugar spikes or troughts (rebound hypoglycemia) similar to what is commonly found with insulin resistance -- & especially people who are already insulin resistant might experience them.

I don't know if this last thing was part of what happened tonight or not. I'm not sure how long it takes for those enzymes to downregulate, or if my Monday night free meal (which contained a fair amount of carbs) was recent enough to minimize that problem. Who knows.

At any rate, here's what happened:

* Blood glucose reading this morning was 87 mg/dL. That's an excellent reading -- well within normal ranges. (Overall, low carbing seems to be very good for my blood sugar control, better than moderate carbs were.)

* BG reading just before my carbs: 84 mg/dL. Also very good.

* Carbs were two pieces of whole grain, sprouted grain bread with a small amount of butter. As breads go, sprouted grain is probably fairly low glycemic (but this is bread, so....). Each slice had 16g carb, of which 5g per slice was fiber, meaning 11g "active" carb g per slice -- a total of 22g carb. (Additonally, a total in two slices of 12g protein and 5g fat.) 22g carb was even under the recommendation for 25 to 50g carb for a preworkout meal.

* I checked BG again half an hour after eating the bread, immediately before workout: 93 mg/dL.

* The workout was the warmups & 2 sets each from the strength training portion of a Tubulence Training workout -- a total of 10 warmup sets & 12 workout sets of moderately intense bodyweight & dumbbell exercises such as pushups, db squats, db rows, side plank, etc., with exercises done in supersets. Enough to make me, at my "beginner" level, kinda sweaty. I noticed during the workout that my heartbeat felt a little more rapid than usual, but otherwise the workout went fine. I didn't do the interval training portion of the workout (which I usually do on an Concept 2 Model D indoor rower) in order to be conservative about levels of exercise given the low calorie intake on the PSMF. The workout took about half an hour.

* Within a few minutes of the end of workout, I noticed a sort of buzzing feeling in my blood which I have come to associate with higher-than-desirable blood sugars. BG tested at 146 mg/dL -- nothing that would probably alarm the American Diabetes Association, but to me that's way too high, & doesn't feel good. I immediately did 20 more prisoner squats & 20 more pushups, & ten minutes after the 146 test, tested at 133 mg/dL, which also felt better.

* I prepared my free meal, which was high in protein/fat, but very low in carbs. An hour after the 133 test, I did a premeal test at 94 mg/dL -- so my BG was normalizing.

* An hour & a half after the beginning of the meal (& of course I'd finished it by that time too), BG was 97 mg/dL.

Again, the high of 147 I registered isn't anything that would freak out the ADA, but the ADA seems to have a very tolerant view anyway of how sick insulin resistant/diabetic people should get before any attention should be paid them anyway. The truth is that damage begins to accrue at much lower levels, & also that the sorta buzzy feeling I get in my blood at anything about say 135-140 really feels yucky to me. So, next time I give this a try, I'll use just one piece of bread, & see how that works. I am also further cautioned by this that I'll want to be very gradual in my readdition of carbs when I eventually end my period of ketogenic dieting.

22g of carb is, btw, lower than the carb load that has previously resulted in a postmeal blood sugar that high. So, I'm interested in learning a bit more about how many days at low carb does it take before enzyme downregulation comes about. It might be worthwhile to get some glucose tabs & test to see how much my blood sugar is raised per tab (as described by Richard K. Bernstein in Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Important for any insulin resistant and/or diabetic person to realize that a general recommendation like 25 to 50g for a preworkout meal is just that -- a general recommendation, which can work well for people with normal carbohydrate metabolism, but which IR/diabetics can't necessarily trust as being optimal for them. Heed the glucometer.

But when I do have an experience like tonight's, the best thing to do is probably to extend the workout to burn that glucose out -- as I partially did with the extra pushups & prisoner squats (though being careful of not doing so much as to make my blood sugars go too low). I guess its also possible that my insulin resistance is worse than I thought it was, but I've just been keeping a handle on it by eating moderate (& now low) carb.

Exercise

Besides the workout mentioned above, I did a lot of walking today, about 13,000 steps of it. (Yes, I wear a pedometer; my workplace has a "Start Walking" program in progress. Besides walking, we can count "step equivalents" for other types of exercise. My major forms of exercise are walking, rowing, & weights.)

Tomorrow, back to strict PSMF.

-- Mel

Last edited by yksin : 05-17-2008 at 03:43 AM. Reason: typo
Unread 05-20-2008, 12:17 PM

Default Good Luck!

Your experimentation is very interesting. I may get a copy of the Ketogenic Diet after reading your posts...currently I'm doing PSMF also. Best of Luck to you!
Unread 05-20-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nill4me View Post
Your experimentation is very interesting. I may get a copy of the Ketogenic Diet after reading your posts...currently I'm doing PSMF also. Best of Luck to you!
Thanks nill3me! Yeah, TKD is a great book. It helps me a lot to understand the processes that go along with all of this -- I definitely recommend it.

-- Mel
Unread 05-21-2008, 05:28 PM

Default May 17-May 21

Weight

Second week
First week was sorta like PSMF but with higher dietary fats (low carbs). Starting with 5/10, I've been strictly trying to follow PSMF.

Sa 5/10 - 189.6
Su 5/11 - 189.2
T 5/13 - 188.8
W 5/14 - 188.0
R 5/15 - 187.0
F 5/16 - 186.6 (free meal)

Third week
Starting here I'm also going to include my fasting blood glucose.

Sa 5/17 - 187.4 (90 mg/dL)
Su 5/18 - 186.8 (89 mg/dL)
M 5/19 - 187.8 (81 mg/dL) (free meal)
T 5/20 - 187.0 (89 mg/dL)
W 5/21 - 187.4 (82 mg/dL) (free meal scheduled)

Meals 5/17-5/21
As usual, I'm not writing down fish oil separately for each meal, but I am eating the recommended quantities.

Sat, 5/17
Fasting scale weight: 187.4 lbs. bg: 90 mg/dL
Meal 1: Bison steak w/ onion & portabello mushrooms
Meal 2: Chicken breast strips w/ mixed salad greens
Meal 3: Whey protein drink w/ psyllium husk
Meal 4: Tuna w/ green pepper, 2 stalks celery

Total nutrients (est.):
814 cal / CHO 13g / Pr 132 / Fat 26g

Sun, 5/18
Fasting scale weight: 186.8 lbs. bg: 89 mg/dL
Meal 1: Whey protein drink w/ psyllium husk
Meal 2: Tuna, 1 stalk celery
Meal 3: Whey protein drink w/ berries
Meal 4: Cod fillet w/ mixed salad greens, pickle, radishes

Normally these days I'm trying to limit my use of whey protein drinks, but some transportation problems with the bus threw my meal schedule off, so I made do.

Total nutrients (est.):
840 cal / CHO 23g / Pr 140g / Fat 21g

Mon, 5/19
Fasting scale weight: 187.8 lbs. bg: 81 mg/dL
Meal 2: Bison steak w/ mustard greens, onion, garlic
Meal 3: Cod fillet w/ mixed salad greens, pickle, radishes
Meal 4: (Free meal) Bison burger, mixed greens w/ radishes, pickle, 1 oz. mixed nut/seeds, & 1 tbsp. salad dressing

Total nutrients (est.):
804 cal / CHO 15g / Pr 136 / Fat 15g (first three meals)
1282 cal / CHO 22g / Pr 172g / Fat 56g (day total)

I would've been more or less letter-perfect for PSMF with the first three meals -- mainly because I ate a huge amount of protein in my second meal. Maybe it should be called a free meal too, for that reason. Oh well. I still ate a free meal that evening, this time following my new philosophy of still limiting carbs on a free meal, & being moderate with increasing dietary fats.

Tue, 5/20
Fasting scale weight: 187.0 lbs. bg: 89 mg/dL
Meal 2: Chicken breast strips w/ mixed salad greens, dill pickle
Meal 3: Chicken breast strips w/ mixed salad greens, dill pickle
Meal 4: Turkey burger w/ onions & crimini mushrooms, green beans, onion

Total nutrients (est.):
943 cal / CHO 27g / Pr 128 / Fat 36g

Wed, 5/21
Fasting scale weight: 187.4 lbs. bg: 82 mg/dL
Meal 2: Tilapia fish w/ garlic, asparagus, spinach, onion, dill pickle
Meal 3: Tilapia fish w/ garlic, green beans, spinach, onion, dill pickle
Meal 4: (free meal) 3 boiled eggs, mixed salad greens w/ 1 oz. mixed nuts & seeds, crimini mushrooms, dill pickle, 1 tbsp. coconut oil as dressing

Today is obviously not over yet, but the meals are all prepared & packed so there should be no variation from this plan.

Total nutrients (est.):
541 cal / CHO 24g / Pr 81g / Fat 11g (first three meals)
1083 cal / CHO 33g / Pr 113g / Fat 55g (day total)

Exercise

Mainly still a fair amount of walking. I've now also incorporated a full-body dumbbell workout three days a week -- did one on Saturday & another last night (Tuesday), will do another on Thursday. I've noticed that my energy levels have been greater than they were on the first week of this, which I think is an indicator that I'm fairly well adapted to ketosis (with fats & to a lesser extent ketone bodies as my main energy sources instead of glucose). I accomplished a 5000 meter row this morning with no problems or discomfort.

Comments

The night of Friday 5/16 I had some discomfort sleeping, probably because I was a bit overzealous in having a high calorie (high fat) free meal that evening, which was also eaten rather late. That was also the same evening that I had my experiment with preworkout carbs, that led to uncomfortably high blood glucose of 146 mg/dL (see post for that day). All the same, my fasting bg reading the next morning was 90 mg/dL -- well within the normal range.

I'm pretty please with my fasting blood glucose readings overall. The 81 on 5/19 is the lowest I've ever seen by bg, short of being hypoglycemic (which is <70 mg/dL), & that was 2-1/2 years ago, before I overhauled my diet to remove refined carbs. All of these blood sugars are well within normal ranges, which gives an indication of just how good control can be at least for a "low end" prediabetic on a low-carb diet. On moderate carbs, my fasting BGs tended to hover a lot closer to 100 mg/dL. I notice that my fasting bg tends to be a bit higher the mornings after free meals. But hey, nothing over 90 this week, I'm happy.

My carbs & dietary fats are still going a little higher than PSMF levels, but not horrifyingly so. The best carbs for keeping carbs low are very much the greens -- I was happy to discover that Carrs (an Alaska chain that nowadays is really just Safeway, having been bought by Safeway a few years ago) carries frozen chopped turnip greens, collard greens, & mustard greens. Frozen spinach too, of course, but the others add a little variety, & they're all very conenient, healthy & low carb, & aren't available at the Natural Pantry, where I do most of my grocery shopping. But... sometimes it's nice to have asparagus or green beans, which have a slightly higher carb level.

After Week 2's free meals, one of which (May 12) was fairly high in carbs, & the other (May 16) was high in fats, & both a lot higher in calories, I've decided on a more moderate approach to free meals -- still keeping the carbs pretty low, & just adding some extra fats -- for example, protein sources like bison burgers or eggs that come packages with a bit more fat, & a small amount of nuts/seeds & dressing added to a salad. This seems to work better for me.

My trip to Seattle is coming up; during that time I'll still keep track of my meals, but macronutrient levels will be tough to count since I don't plan to carry a gram counter with me. I still will be trying to eat low carb, but won't try to be strict PSMF -- more like "PSMF + extra fats," like my new approach to free meals. Exercise will be mostly walking & bodyweight exercises. We'll see how it goes.

-- Mel